Chapter 99

[October 14, 2024]

Beatrice 

The search for an apartment started the minute we got back from California. Well actually before we got back because at the hotel I caught Jack searching up apartment complexes near our current apartments on my computer. It made me giggle that he was really excited to be taking this next step with me. 

So along with work, games, and practices, we've added apartment searching to our list. Sometimes it can feel like I have no time to spare but if I convince myself that the more we do this the faster we'll have a place to live I can make myself feel better about it. 

I'm in charge of all the planning like scheduling meetings, tours, and having a list of everything we want for our apartment. On Jack's list is a pool, a gym, and a dog park for a dog that we don't have. This better not be him hinting at wanting another pet, because until we move into a house there will be no more pets. 

On my list of requirements are big windows, they need to be animal-friendly, close to work, paid parking spots, and lastly that they're in good condition. I've given Jack specific things to look for aside from what he wants and today he'll be putting that list to work when we go to a few meetings today. 

I sit on my couch petting the head of both of my cats while Jack tries on multiple outfits. "Jack, hurry up." I say, watching him change his black t-shirt to a brown henley. He puts a beanie on and grabs the keys off of his nightstand. "Do I look like I'm serious about buying an apartment with my girlfriend?" he asks me with a very serious expression. 

"Yes, you're very serious. Now let's go we can't be late." I tell him, slowly getting up to give our cats a moment to realize that I'm getting up. Their heads move off of my lap allowing me to get up and push Jack out of the door before he changes his outfit again. I plug in my phone with the directions to help us get there ready. 

I run through the game plan with Jack one more time before getting out of the car and now the serious man that left my apartment is gone. He looks more relaxed, watching me go over the things he needs to look for with an amused look on his face. "Fine, let's go." I sigh, opening my car door to step into the building where we'll be meeting with a leasing agent. 

We wait in the lobby, twiddling our thumbs and text each other because talking in a room where you can hear a pin drop is terrifying. 

jack💌 
hes late.
men😐

bea 
you are a man😐

jack💌
can i be the exception? you love me 

bea 
i do?

jack💌
stop you're hurting my feelings.

bea
I DO!

jack 💌
say that in a year or two
when we get married

I giggle at Jack's messages and jump in my seat when I see a man standing outside of his door. "Fuck," I mutter under my breath, tapping Jack to show him that the leasing agent is ready. Why didn't he say anything? He was just standing in the doorway like a weirdo. He turns his back to us to step into his office, making Jack and I exchange a look of confusion.

Jack holds an arm out, keeping me from moving forward to mouth, "That's got to be a red flag." I press my lips together to contain my laughter and nod my head before holding Jack's hand and entering the office. We introduce ourselves to the leasing agent and shake his hand before sitting down in the two chairs in front of his desk.