Chapter 36

[April 27, 2023]

Beatrice 

I took my mom's blue car to go pick Devon and the boys up from the ferry. They were shocked that they had to take a whole boat from the airport to where we're staying. Trevor called me to tell me all about it as if it was my first time in Greece. I hung up on him, texting him that there was no signal and he was cutting out but in reality, I just wanted to focus on the road. Driving here is crazy. 

When the boys heard Devon was coming in a week earlier they insisted they should too. Well, Trevor insisted and Jamie followed. But it all works out because today is Devon's birthday, I've had it marked on my calendar since the day we met. At first, she was bummed that she wouldn't get to spend it with both Jamie and me but where there is a Trevor there is a way. 

I park the car, running up to the dock to see the three of them with their suitcases. Jamie takes Devon's letting her wander empty-handed like the good boyfriend he is. When Trevor spots me he points me out, telling Dev and Jamie to look my way. "Look at what the tide washed in!" Trevor yells with the biggest smile. "No," Jamie says as they approach me. "Okay," Trevor replies. 

I run up to Devon, hugging and spinning her around. "Happy birthday you absolute goddess," I smile in her ear, her curls going wild. "Thank you, Bea. I've missed you so much," She mumbles, pulling away to check out my new tan. I move to Trevor giving him a big hug before hugging Jamie. I thank them for coming and ask them how their flight was. 

They get in the car, throwing their bags in the back as I drive them around. I give them a similar introduction to the island as my mom did. "This is where mom gets her produce, here is where Ringo likes to swim and sunbathe, I get my cute crochet tops from here, and here is the Dynamos Inn!" I say, parking the car and helping them with their suitcases. 

"Mom!" I yell, waiting for a blonde woman to pop out and meet my friends. "Oh, Devon!" I hear her say, opening her arms to give her a hug. "Happy birthday gorgeous," she says, giving her a motherly kiss on the head. She stays there and talks to Devon but Devon reaches back to grab Jamie's arm. "This is my boyfriend, Jamie Drysdale," she beams.

My mom wraps her arms around Jamie, getting to know him a bit before I say, "And mom this is Jamie's boyfriend, Trevor Zegras," My mom is immediately intrigued by his last name. "Is that Greek hon?" she says with her finger to her lips as she thinks. "Yes, ma'am," Trevor smiles, hugging her. "You look Greek, so tan, and tall, and you have great hair!" my mom laughs, basically describing herself. 

I show everyone up to their room, Trevor rooming alone while Devon stays with Jamie. I let them settle down before running back downstairs to give my mom the all-clear. I see her walking up to me and I ask, "Are we all ready for tonight?" I ask her, excited for what we have planned for Devon tonight. "Yes, Roxie has the place reserved tonight," she smiles, walking me to her storage room where she has some of Aunt Cami's old clothes. Since Devon is a bit taller than the two of us hopefully she'll fit in one of Cami's old getups. 

I sneak them up to my room, tiptoeing past Jamie and Devon's room, so they won't see me. I shove them in my closet, knocking on Trevor's door to tell him the plan. I knock three times before I see Trevor opening the door. I grab his hand and pull him into my room, locking the door. "Oh, is it my time?" he jokes, taking his hoodie off to show off his white t-shirt. 

"Get out of here, I need to tell you the plan," I say and tell him all about Devon's birthday party. How we'll start here in the inn, a little party before we blindfold Devon and walk her to Roxie's where the real party will be. She needs a real Greek introduction. Trevor is all in until he realizes he has nothing resembling the 70s. "Not to worry, I have some of Aunt Cami's ex-husband's outfits, so you and Jimmy are clear for the summer!" I say, letting him know Roxie's is not some one-time thing. It's a lifestyle I've become accustomed to.