Chapter 23

[February 14, 2023]

Beatrice

From the moment I open my eyes a smile that meets my eyes pops up on my face. I grab my phone check the date and squeal. I love Valentine's Day, it's one of my favorite holidays and I don't need a man to enjoy it. I'm glad I don't have work today because I usually like to take the day to treat myself. I get up, letting Ringo get some extra sleep while I get ready. 

Today Thea is hosting another little party for us girls and their boyfriends. She even invited Jack, Devon, and Nico as well. So after treating myself, I'll head over to her house to help her decorate it and get any last-minute arrangements. I throw on my cream sweater with a red heart in the middle of it and a little skirt with some tights and my Doc-Martens. 

I put on some makeup and curl a few waves into my hair before putting some food in Ringo's bowl

I put on some makeup and curl a few waves into my hair before putting some food in Ringo's bowl. I tie a little red ribbon around his collar as he eats. I give him a light kiss on the head before walking out and locking the door. I skip to my car, I'm telling you Valentine's Day puts me in the most incredible mood. 

I drive over to a book shop my dad used to go to when he lived here called 'Happy Place' I listen to Taylor's Lover album, the whole way here, and park my car across the store. I walk in, listening to the soft jingle the bell on the door makes when I walk in. I smile and greet the workers before walking down the aisles to find a book that interests me. 

I finally find a book called 'Everything I know about love' by Dolly Alderton. It says it's "A memoir about growing up, growing older, and learning to navigate friendships, jobs, loss, and love along the ride," Hmm, I think to myself reading the back before bumping into someone. "Oh I'm so sorry," I say looking up to see Jack. 

"Oh hey," I chuckle, looking at the surprised look on his face. "H-hey," He says looking around to the aisle above me. "Do you need help?" I ask him and he looks me back in the eyes and says, "Yeah, actually I feel like I've just been walking around in circles. He says as I feel something press up against my leg. 

"Holy fuck," I yelp, looking down to see an orange cat rubbing his head against my tights. I give Jack my book and lean down to pick up the cat. "Hi baby, what's your name?" I ask him, looking for his collar. "Ziggy, oh hi beautiful boy," I coo, scratching his head. This must be one of those bookstores where they let a few strays live.

Jack puts my book in between his arm and side to rub Ziggy's head. I put Ziggy down, brush off all his hair and ask Jack what he needs help with. "A friend of mine wanted me to pick up a book for them," he says, and I nod following along waiting for me to hear what book he wants me to look for. "Ugly Love, Verity, and November 9th by Colleen Hoover," Jack says and I feel my body physically retreat.

He hears me wince and says, "What?" and I shake my head, "No, nothing sorry." I say trying to walk away but he gets in my way. "No, tell me," he says, towering over me. "I strongly dislike Colleen Hoover. I read one of her books and it was absolutely fucked, but I'll help you," I say with a giggle, looking for the 'romance' section when in reality it should be in the 'illiterate and bad taste' section.