Chapter 50

[August 24, 2023]

Beatrice 

flashback

I rub my eyes, looking out the window to see the city I call home. I get off the plane, rolling my head to the side, feeling the ache in my neck from sleeping so uncomfortably. I roll my suitcase and animal crate to the nearest exit. Devon said she'd pick me up but what she didn't tell me was that Nico was coming along. Nico stands there talking to Devon with his arms crossed, a mustache coating his upper lip, and no idea that I'm walking up to them. 

Devon looks over, her eyes lighting up as if it'd been months since we last saw each other. She runs over to me, wrapping her arms around me, patching up all the open wounds Greece left me with. "Don't even mention how long it's been. I don't care, I missed you," she says against my ear making me laugh. I definitely thought of making fun of her but couldn't bring myself to do it because I felt the same way. 

"Let go," Nico says, wrapping his arms around me, reminding me of how much I missed my big brother. Devon's hug was full of excitement and time passed, but my hug with Nico was for me. He hugged me to ground me, and help me make peace with the sudden change again. I know he missed me but I know him well enough that his hug was meant to quiet the static in my brain. 

We left the airport, Nico carrying Ringo since he missed his nephew. I roll my luggage in one hand while Devon occupies the other hand. She cuddles my arm, resting her curly blonde hair on my shoulder. "We might have separation anxiety," I whisper and she blows out a deep breath, "Big time," she smiles at me, unknowingly resting a finger on my tattoo for her. 

I get in the backseat as Nico drives us over to Devon's house. There's no use in going to my apartment, there's nothing there, so we're having a sleepover. Nico can't stay because he has some captain duties to report to very early in the morning. I let Ringo out, letting him run to the litter box Devon set up. "Thanks for picking me up, I missed you Nic," I hug him. 

"Anything for you Beatrice Jae," he pats my head like a brother would to his sister. 

-

present day

Devon set a reminder on my phone about today the night I came home. She was very persistent in me attending the event today. My suspicion is that she saw Jack and he met someone new, and she wants me to find someone to busy myself with or even fall in love with so when the time comes and I see him again, it won't sting and I won't care.

I'll see him soon and I'll have to smile at him as if he didn't tear my heart apart. I wonder if my heart left a blood stain in the hallway. I wonder if he walks past my office and feels for me. Does he hurt as badly as me? Well as I did. 

I put on my button-up with some high-waisted pants and heels, pulling my hair back into a messy low bun. I go in pretty dark with my eyeshadow but it looks good. It looks different, but it makes me feel nice. I don't want to go into this conference as old Bea, I want to go in as the new me. This is a new beginning and even though nobody in the room will know it, I know. 

I rub Ringo's head, pouring his new food into his bowl. "Bye honey, I'll see you later," I coo, running out the door, getting into my car, and driving to the museum where the conference is being held. For the car ride, I choose the song, 'Begin Again' by Taylor Swift because it's the energy I'm inviting into my life. A new beginning. 

I park my car, walking in to see tons of photographs up on the wall. I greet the sweet woman by the door, handing her my belongings so I don't have to walk around with them. I stop by the first photograph looking at a picture from below. It shows tons of people standing in the dark, illuminated by the moon, lifting their phones to the sky.