Chapter 29

[March 20, 2023]

Jack

It's been a week since Devon and Beatrice came back from California. I'm not sure if anyone else knew and I was just left out of knowing that information but I had to find out from Instagram. I was casually scrolling when I saw the picture Bea posted with the caption 'reunited' I literally got up from the couch, searching Z's name to see if he posted anything. I saw Devon had and I quickly clicked on her story to see the picture she had posted from the plane. 

Now I don't want to sound like I deserved to know but this is my best friend, he didn't think to mention it. "Oh yeah remember your new admin? She's coming to California," not even that, this was his birthday present to her which I found out at the end of the trip when Beatrice called it the best birthday gift ever on her story.

Whatever she deserves someone like Trevor. 

I spent my weekend with the ever so dreadful, life-sucking Billie Paige. I know she just wants to be seen with me and get her fifteen minutes of fame but now I really can't get rid of her. She's here all the time, barging in demanding me for something and it's draining. I thought Billie would help me not think about Bea, but if anything she just highlights everything Bea isn't. 

And I won't let my brain think of those qualities because I don't want to think of either of them. The most I'll allow myself from Billie is sex, and from Beatrice is a distant friendship. I think maybe if I keep friend-zoning her she'll never get close or confuse the shit out of me again. "Morning," I feel a hand trail down my stomach. 

I flinch away from her touch, jumping out of bed to see a redhead, totally not Billie. A part of me wants to laugh but when I hear my front door open I know I'm about to get my ass handed to me. "Jack, are you cheating on me?" Billie yells, making the ginger in my bed pull the sheets over her body and grimace. 

"Billie, we're not dating," I clarify, reminding her that never once have we talked about it, and even if we did I wouldn't want to date her she's awful. I've never even called her babe or anything. It's always been Bil, mainly to avoid this kind of confusion. "We've been seeing each other for like three months," she says.

This is true, but seeing is not the same as dating. "Okay well then I guess our relationship is over," I pout, it totally being a dick move but it's effective. "You are such a dick," she yells, as I shrug with the same pout. "Why do you think I don't have a girlfriend?" I ask her, and she storms out. I head to the shower, wanting to finally wash off the last three months and hoping that the ginger is gone by the time I get out.

To my luck she is, when I head to my kitchen for some breakfast I hear a knock on the door. I walk over hoping to whatever higher power that it's not Billie. I open the door to a door dash guy, handing me a little Dunkin' Donuts bag and a coffee. I look at the note on the paper and it says, "Sorry your not gf is a bitch, here's some breakfast. If you ever wanna second round call me," including her number.

Thanks, but I will not be calling you back. 

I eat the bagel she bought me and sip on my coffee when I get a text from Bea. 

Bea

hey dev and I want to do something with trevor would you be down?

I groan as I read the message, "would you be down?" he's my best friend of course I'm down. I want to know when they became better friends. Jesus Christ. 

Jack

yeah, what did you have in mind?

I say not wanting to be pissed and take it out on her. It's Trevor's birthday, I can at least be nice about the fact that she wants to celebrate Trevor. She tells me the plan and I tell her we can do it at my house since I know most of the guys anyway. She sends me a thumbs-up and leaves it at that. Apparently, she also wants to celebrate Jamie, because he's basically dating Devon now.