Chapter 101

[October 30, 2024]

Beatrice

I moved to New Jersey exactly two years ago and today is the last day I will ever spend in this apartment. I started my new life when I got hired for a job that changed my life and two years later, I will be starting a new chapter with a boy I met the day after I moved here. So much has changed and after my small talk with Jack when I broke into tears I no longer feel bad or guilty for leaving this apartment, I don't need the four numbers on the door to feel close to him.

He will always be around.

Jack knew exactly what was bothering me when I told him I didn't want to leave. Yes, I hold so many good memories in here but what was keeping me here was the protection I felt being behind a door that displayed numbers that tied back to my Dad.

I stare up at my ceiling with Jack's cheek pressed up against my chest. His leg is slotted in between mine and his arm is holding me close to his warm body. I can feel his warm breath against my neck, and the sound of his quiet snoring which he refused to admit he does soothes me before our big day.

Devon, Thea, Nico, and Luke offered to help move us in to take a load off of our shoulders. Their help will definitely be appreciated and I'll make sure they know that. I soak in my last few minutes of peace when I feel Jack's body start to stretch over me. His breathing stops for a second before a low groan comes from him.

"Good morning," he says, smiling against my skin. I scratch his bare back with my fingernails, smiling as the sun beams through my bedroom window onto my face. "Morning gorgeous," I say, trying to flip us around so I can lay on top of Jack before our friends start knocking on our door.

"Did you know 729 days ago we met? Tomorrow is exactly 730." He informs me, making me grin. A year ago I had an awful boyfriend I thought was great and Jack was flirting with me like his life depended on it. "I wasn't going to go to that party, you know? I was still so bitter and upset about Kyndall but Dorothea told me she wanted to see me." He says, playing with my hair.

I wrap my arms around Jack's neck as he tells me the rest of the story. "I told her to come see me instead but I remember feeling something really strange that was pushing me to go, so I went and I met someone I wasn't ready to meet." He says, kissing the top of my head. I take a deep breath remembering everything about the way that night played out.

"What do you do?" he asks, flicking his eyes down to my lips. "I-I'm a photographer, I just moved here," I stumble over my words. He scoots closer to me, until our knees are touching, and extends his arm over the back of the couch. "Sorry couldn't hear you, what'd you say?" He smirks as his cool fingertips run circles on my shoulder.

The touch is so soft it feels like a feather. "Oh uh, I'm a photographer," I say now that he's much closer to me. "Now what's a pretty girl like you doing behind the camera, I'd take pictures of you all day," He smiles, looking me up in down. I squirm under his gaze unsure of how to handle this level of flirting from a guy this level of attractive.

Despite the fact that we've been dating for about five months I still squirm under his gaze when he looks at me for too long. I'm much more comfortable around him so I'm more inclined to push his face away and ask him to stop staring with a huge smile on my face.

"I love you, Beatrice." He says, breaking me out of my thoughts. I lift my head, resting my chin on his chest, and return the eight-lettered phrase back to him. He gently pats my butt, showing me the text he got from Luke on his phone saying that he's leaving the house soon. I sigh, getting off of Jack and moving to the restroom to get myself together.