Chapter Eight

A pin drop silence coupled with the rasing tension and the angry glare was the only thing currently going on in the resistance of Alhaji  Abdulssalam Adamu.

Ammi is pacing up and down not even able to sit in one place in an extreme anger while Alhaji sat in silent absolutely speechless by the situation.

He was aware as of when they decided on the wedding date but he lost track of the date and honestly because of Miemie's death he totally forgot about it.

He never knew that his son can be this bold and reckless at the same time.

Alhaji exhaled softly glancing Ammi's way. She seems calm, too calm for his liking. He is actually waiting for her to say something so he can back her up not wanting to say something wrong in her eyes.

Cause this is all AbdulAzeez's fault and in no way did he intend it to be blame or take the blame for it.

AbdulAzeez blink his eyes glancing between his Abba and Ammi. The tension in the room is getting to him and he honestly can't wait for their scolding and what not to have this over with.

What is done is already done and there is nothing him, them or Layla can do about it. To him, instead of shouting and blaming this one him, why don't everyone calm down and think of how to move forward after this.

Umaima is his wife now and thy don't have any other choice than to accept her including Layla.

"I thought you're smart Abdul?" Alhaji started softly cutting through Abdul's though which made him to fixed his gaze on Abba.

"How can you do this to your wife? Especially at this critical time? She is still mourning the death of her child, your child" He blink taking a deep breath.

Even in his eyes he knew Abdul is wrong and there is nothing that will justify his action. "What you're supposed to do was hold on to her, be there for her and help her through this hardship."

Abdul tilt his head listening to his Father. He knew nothing can justify his action but Layla wasn't meant to find out.

The invitation card has being ready about a month ago and he had received it a while ago. That's why he hide them and not everyone was invited to the wedding. He only invited his friends living outside Kaduna to prevent the news from spreading.

He has wanted them to postpone the wedding but Umaima voice out her concern about that, she is worried that will be the end of their relationship if the wedding is postponed.

Since he might end up getting closer to Layla through this grieving period. She even cried that day and he just couldn't do a thing about it. So they agree to have a quiet wedding with just few people around and then later the festivities and the conveyance will take place.

"Am disappointed in you AbdulAzeez?" Abba's voice rang inside his head which made him to look his Father's side. And he didn't missed the look of disappointment on his Father's face which made him to swallow something bitter down his throat.

"I feel more ashamed than disappointment." For the first time Ammi's sharp voice cut through the tension with her eyes fixed totally different from where AbdulAzeez sat.

"Do you know how this makes me look..." She continued redirecting her eyes on him. "Like a hypocrite..." She said flatly walking back to the couches.

"I am a Judge..." She started her voice held power and authority, knowing she execute them. "A human right advocate and most importantly, women and girlchild activist..."

"And what!" She said with a chuckles. "My son...the one that I raised is..." She kept quiet not able to bring herself to say it.

"You know if this was brought to my court room..." She trail for the first time looking AbdulAzeez's way. "I will immediately sentence that you divorce her, give her half of your assets with effect...Immediately."