Chapter 32 : Family lunch

April 27, 2019

narrator narrating

Leonardo was recovering from a cold, he rarely got sick, but when he did, he was usually very shaken. It was a Saturday and the whole family went to his house to have lunch with him. His mother, Dona Bela, his three brothers, two wolves and a she- wolf, his five nephews and two cousins were present. The family gathered in the backyard in the shade of a tree, only someone was missing and that someone was Matheus, who locked himself in his room.

Matheus' grandmother narrating

We all went to visit my son who was recovering from the flu. I was startled when Matheus opened the door and answered us — He sounded like my husband. — I thought — it can't be, Matheus has changed so much, he seems like a different person. — Leonardo and Juliana show up soon after and Matheus disappears, when we went to the backyard there was no sign of him,
Matheus was gone. We sit at the table, I sit next to my son and Matheus's change couldn't get out of my head, it was
bothering me a lot. Everyone also noticed what had happened and everyone was commenting.

narrator narrating

Leonardo's brothers and cousins were making small talk, they talked about the family business and even spoke ill of other species, like hyenas, for example.

Leonardo's cousin — I don't know what to do with Anny, she's only interested in hyenas , cats ,dogs and foxes and doesn't like wolves, that girl has bad taste.

Anny turns her face and says — Stop being annoying, Mom.

Leonardo's cousin — This has to stop, everything is so mixed up. This is not normal, animals of different species having children, what a strange thing. It's not prejudice, but that's weird.

Theo — A friend of mine who is a wolf had a son with a hyena, luckily he looks like a wolf because these hyenas are ugly.

Leonardo's sister — He should have chosen a wolf, that's for sure.

narrator narrating

Leonardo and his mother listened to all that without saying anything, until the mother decided to break the silence.

Dona Bela — Where is Matheus?

Leonardo narrating

That was strange, my mother had never asked that. I tell her he's in his room and she asks me to bring him over for dinner. Very strange that, since my mother never liked my son. I'll go there and call him.

matheus narrating

I was playing on my cell phone when I hear someone knocking on the door, it's my father calling me to have lunch with them. I really didn't want to go, but he made me go downstairs, he said it was just for lunch and that my grandmother wanted to see me.

Strange, very strange. I, sulking, decide to go down the stairs, I sit next to my father and my grandmother and facing Anny, my cousin. She wouldn't stop looking at me, neither her nor the others. I put some food on the plate and start to eat quickly to go back to the room.

Calm down, Matheus, eat slowly — says my father's cousin, Anny's mother, with concern. I say ironically — As if you care about me.

I finish eating and am already heading back to the bedroom when my dad takes me by the arm and makes me sit down again.

What and why are you looking at me, you've never seen me!? I tell everyone.

“ It's just that you're different. says my Uncle Theo.

While he was saying this, Juliana appeared, placing a huge roast turkey on the table. Everyone started to cut him, Barone advanced on the table and took off a huge thigh. My grandma picks him up and puts him on her lap, she thought it was funny to see her little wolf grandson growling and devouring a piece of meat, everyone thought it was funny to see that.