chapter 16 : Lucas's birthday

It was December 29, 2015. On that day, Lucas would have turned 14 years old. All of his friends were invited, including Matheus and, as usual, everyone gathered in the backyard of the house in the shade of a huge araucaria tree.

The backyard was all decorated with balloons and posters, on the wooden table there were some pies, drinks, pasta and some fruits like nuts. One of the guests was Mariana, a little wolf who was Lucas's neighbor and friend, she attacked the table and was eating almost everything

 One of the guests was Mariana, a little wolf who was Lucas's neighbor and friend, she attacked the table and was eating almost everything

Mariana

" You're going to get fat," Lucas said, with a smirk.

Mariana, at the same time, held a huge guava fruit in one hand and a piece of cake in the other and took a bite of each one.

Lucas's mother, seeing her eating everything, tried to hide the plates to give to the other guests.

Seriously, Mariana, stop! - Lucas said very softly, joking.

“ What is it?” I only ate a little bit ,” she said as she took a huge bite out of a mango, all the while chewing and looking at Lucas.

Lucas stared at the situation while laughing.

That same day, Lucas went to get Matheus at his house. Lucas was very happy because Matheus was allowed to sleep in his house.

Matheus narrates

Lucas invited me to his birthday and my father allowed me to sleep over at his house. What a miracle, my God! I'm having my breakfast when I hear someone knocking on the door.

I go to answer it and when I open the door, he comes in hugging me saying it was his birthday. He was very happy, there was a twinkle in his eyes and his tail was wagging.

" Congratulations, Lucas. - I say and he doesn't stop squeezing me, I should hug him, but he does the opposite.

My father let me sleep at his house today. Matthews said.

“ Good. - he said.

I noticed that Lucas had a little naughty face, as if he wanted to do something with me.

We go to his house and he puts his arm around my shoulder, squeezing me. I tell him to stop it as everyone could see it and he stopped.

Arriving at his house I see that there is plenty of food. His father was roasting some toscanas and the table was full. There were some people I didn't know and, in the middle of the crowd, I see a crazy Mariana pinching the plates of food.

It was just the beginning of the party. Then Lucas put on some music to cheer the crowd up and Mariana approached us saying with her mouth full of farofa — I was just missing you — and some grains fell on my face.

You're welcome, Matthew! she said, spitting out a few grains of farofa.

Mariana seems like a clueless girl — thought Matheus.