Chapter Two

Calla knocks on the door an hour after Seraphina had stormed out of the room.

"Come in," Seraphina says, not looking at the entrance.

The door squeaks open and Calla walks in. In her hands are two bowls of steaming stew. Seraphina sits up and takes one of the bowls from her. Calla smiles and sits on the end of the bed. Seraphina sniffs and smiles as the smell of meat and herbs wafts up from the stew, making her stomach growl. She blows on the spoon before sipping at the broth.

"It's delicious," she finally says. "You grow the best herbs. And Vegetables. And Fruits. And flowers," Seraphina laughs.

"Thank you," Calla chuckles and they fall into silence again with the only sound filling the room that of slurping.

Eventually, Calla speaks. "Seraphina," she begins and pauses. Seraphina looks at Calla, who is staring down at her bowl. Her brows are furrowed, making wrinkles in her dark skin.

"I'm sorry Calla, I shouldn't have stormed away like that. It was immature."

"No no, don't apologise. I should be more understanding."

Calla purses her lips and then puts the bowl on the small dressing table, which is covered with various brown papers from Seraphina's studies, books, and vibrant potted plants. Calla curses as some of the broth spills onto the paperwork she'd put the bowl down on. Seraphina chuckles.

"Seeing as you've destroyed my homework, can I have an extension?" she asks.

"It's hardly destroyed," Calla laughs. "It just has a ring of stew staining it. No extensions."

"You're so mean," Seraphina jokes and nudges Calla lightly. Calla grins and pokes her tongue out at her.

"Why are you sitting here in the dark anyway?" Calla asks.

"Too lazy to light the lamps," Seraphina replies. Calla rolls her eyes and stands, walking over to the lamp that sits at the entrance to the room. She lights it with some matches left next to it.

"I need to make more soon," she says as a low gold light starts flickering around the room. Calla hangs up the lamp and takes a seat on the bed again. Finished with her stew, Seraphina puts the bowl down on the floor.

"Is the academy going to treat me badly if they think I'm a Stain?" Seraphina asks with a small voice. Calla leans back against the wall and stares at the flame in the lamp.

"Most of the tutors won't," she finally says, "they are professional and fully understand that this is the will of the gods. They should treat you equally to the Ethereal students."

"The students?" Seraphina presses.

Calla sighs. "From what I can remember of my time at Amber Cove, the Stain students always had a tough time during their first few years."

Seraphina's eyes sting with scared tears. Calla turns to her, and her face softens.

"Come here," she says and pulls Seraphina into a tight hug. Seraphina buries herself into Calla's warmth. She is quickly consumed with the familiar scents of soil and flowers that seem to cling to Calla's skin.

"You are strong, Phina. You'll be able to cope with a few cruel students. I know you will."

"Really?" Seraphina asks.

"Of course, you were raised by me after all. I don't raise weak women."

Seraphina laughs and sits up again.

They both jump as the sound of a long, high-pitched scream rings in the distance.

"Moon ghosts," Calla sighs, shaking her head.