Chapter Eighteen

The train lurches forward with a jolt. The General hands her a glass of celebratory champagne. Everyone is in the main dining cart, except Nathanial, who has his own vague travel plans and had left the group shortly after they had gotten on the train - something Seraphina was very grateful for. 

"To the new students of Amber Cove Academy!" Dreven's tutor, Bartholomew, says. They sip at their champagne and then clap. Seraphina smiles and sips her drink. As soon as the tangy, sweet, bubbly liquid hits her tongue, it stings a little. Her lips purse and her eyes shut tightly. Beside her, General Keller roars with laughter as she shakes her head and puts the glass down.

"That is disgusting," she says. 

Ari lets out a shout of disbelief. "Seraphina, this is some of the finest champagne in all of Narenna. Do you know how much this costs per sip?" she asks.

"No," Seraphina laughs.

"Well, I for one am going to make the most of it. If you aren't having yours, I certainly will," she says and before Seraphina can say anything, Ari picks up Seraphina's abandoned flute.

"Now, Ari has the right attitude," General Keller says. Seraphina rolls her eyes.

"What instrument do you play?" Cora asks her as the Stains all start trying to get to know each other better.

"Oh, Cello and flute. I also do ballet."

"Impressive," Cora replies, which makes Seren snort. He steps between Seraphina and Ari, his shoulders touching Seraphina's.

The hairs on the back of her neck stand with discomfort at his touch. His whole presence makes her deeply unsettled so she steps away quickly. Though the distance does little to stop the cold shivers that run through her.

"Do you have something to say?" Cora asks Seren.

"No," he says cockily and then smiles to himself. Cora and Seraphina catch each other's eyes before Cora links arms with Ari and leads her away.

Seraphina follows them as they sit in one of the corners. Ari sighs and shakes her head, looking wearily in Seren's direction.

"I didn't see his combat performance, what can he do?" she asks, her voice mousy.

"You don't want to know," Cora replies.

"I don't trust him," Seraphina says. The girls both nod their heads. "Anyway, Ari, why don't you tell us more about your music and dance?"

Ari's face lights up and she quickly dives into a conversation about ballet and how special it is as well as her achievements with the cello. 

"Quite the musical protégé," Kirnon chuckles charmingly as he interrupts. Seraphina twists around to look at him. She hadn't spoken to him properly yet. Out of all the champions this year, Kirnon is the biggest. She gulps a little, daunted at the size of him.

He stands well over six feet and his muscles are huge and defined, visible clearly even under the loose black shirt. He smiles beautifully at Ari and she blushes slightly. Seraphina has to admit, he is handsome. With smooth dark skin, short black hair, and warm, dark brown eyes, Kirnon is a good-looking man. Especially when he smiles.

"Do you mind if I join you?" he asks the girls.

"That depends," Cora replies with narrowed eyes, "are you a massive creep?" She looks over at Seren who is chatting on the other side of the room with his tutor, Matthew.

Kirnon raises a brow and laughs as he takes a seat next to Ari. Despite being tall herself, she looks tiny next to him with her slim frame and doe eyes.