Chapter Nineteen

"Can I ask a stupid question?" Seraphina asks the general as they sit in the map room the following day.

He narrows his eyes. "Go on."

"What is making those lights... er light?" she asks, stumbling over her own words.

"Wildling," he sighs, shaking his head. "Did Calla not teach you about electricity?" He speaks with a low voice so Nysalanai, who sits on the other side of the room, doesn't hear.

"Probably, it doesn't mean I was listening," Seraphina replies with a shrug. He raises a brow at her. "You can't talk. You only pay attention when you're learning how to kill and fight, you admitted it yourself."

His smile falls from his face, and he nods his head. "You got me there," he sighs. "Fine, I will give you a lesson in the basics." 

"I too would like to learn about the lights," Nysalanai says, standing behind them and making them jump. 

For a few seconds, Seraphina and the general stare at her in shock before the general sighs.

"Didn't Nathanial go over this with you?" he asks.

Nysalanai just glares at him.

"Very well," he sighs. "So you'll find that the more you get into Ethereal society and cities, the more technological advancements there will be. Electricity is one of the main ones. At the moment, it is used predominantly in lighting, specifically the light bulb. I am sure its uses will increase in other areas though. You'll also come across telephones, which allow you to speak to someone in another building or room. It doesn't extend very far yet, but I'm sure one day we will be able to call and speak to a person on the other side of the country."

Seraphina's eyes widen. How is that even possible?

The general continues, ignoring both girls' baffled expressions.

"There is also the camera which takes a moment and makes a still image of it. The only problem is that you have to pose for a stupid amount of time," he grumbles. "Those are just the little things. The main technology advancements have been trains like these."

"Do they run on electricity?" Seraphina asks.

"No. They run on steam which powers all the intricate little parts to make it go," he shrugs. Seraphina frowns.

"What, I'm not an engineering expert," he shrugs. "All I know is that it is a series of complicated parts and cogs."

"What else?" she asks.

"Well, there is the discovery of oil and its uses along with the invention of machinery to drill it out of the ground, there's the paddle boat, the bicycle, trams..." he trails off and shrugs. "Lots of things are best seen rather than explained. But the most development is being focused on the industrial industry to make parts for trains like these, or the mining of resources."

"Oh," Seraphina says, not sure if she is more confused than before.

"We'll pass through an industrial mining city, maybe that will help you understand a little more," he says.

"What about weapons?" Nysalanai asks. The general's face darkens a little.

"The advancements of weapons have been strictly prohibited by the gods," he says. "Swords and our magic are good enough." His tone of voice tells both the girls that the weapons part of the conversation is over.

"If you both want to properly learn about technology, you need to visit the Shaw Foundation," he explains.

"The what?" Seraphina asks.