Chapter Fifty-Two

So, who gets to use their powers then?" Slade asks dryly. Seraphina bites at her lip as she thinks.

"I would," Ajax replies. He has the ability to "fog" people's minds, making them confused and disorientated. It is powerful and a useful tool.

"No," Seraphina says, "you'd spend too much of your focus and enerjy trying to get past their shields. It will leave you more vulnerable to attack. Then, you'd be downed and we'd be without an extra body and we'd have no magic on our side."

"She's right," Tommen mutters as Ajax sighs. "It should be me." With the ability to turn invisible, Tommen would be a sensible choice but Seraphina shakes her head. Levana answers.

"We don't know how strong their senses are. Even with you being invisible, they may still be able to hear and pinpoint where you are."

"I don't think my ability would be much use," Slade sighs. He can produce deadly sharp spikes from his wrist. Sometimes, he leaves them attached to him and uses them like swords. Other times, he can launch them through the air like daggers. He is an expert with them.

"It would be," Seraphina says, "You are highly skilled, Slade. But in this case, I think it's not quite what we need."

"So that leaves you, basically," Ajex says dryly. Seraphina shakes her head.

"I don't have enough control," she says and turns to Levana.

"Me?" she asks.

Seraphina nods her head. "Your fire whips are long enough that you'd be able to keep a distance and would be a great distraction to the riders."

The boys smile and nod their heads in agreement.

"So, what's the strategy then?" Tommen asks. Seraphina thinks for a moment, then tells them her thoughts. Some they agree with, and others they offer different suggestions. Soon, they have a solid plan and are ready.

Seraphina lets out a shaky breath as they look at Alaric and the riders by his side.

"Are you sure you want to go after Radomir?" Levana asks her. Seraphina nods her head, her jaw clenching in determination.

"Trust me," Seraphina says, "it's me he's after."

They nod their heads and Seraphina stretches her shoulders. Alaric's smile is calm. Scarily calm. Their eyes meet and Seraphina doesn't miss the spark of excitement.

"Are you all ready?" Seraphina asks.

"As you can be when you know you're walking into a fight you're going to lose," Tommen says. Seraphina laughs.

"Let's lose it in style then," she tells him. Beside her, Levanna lets out a snort.

"Just keep an eye out for my whips. It would be humiliating for all of us if I downed one of my own team members," she says.

"Don't worry about me," Seraphina says. "Just do what you need to do and trust I'll get out of the way."

After spending years avoiding Calla's vines and attacks, Seraphina is more than prepared to jump out of the way of Levana's flaming whips.

"Are you ready?" Radomir asks. Seraphina's mouth goes dry and her heart thunders in her chest, but she holds her head high and smiles confidently.

"We're ready," she says.

"Excellent," he replies.

"Let's do this," Slade says, jumping up and down on his feet with nervous energy.