Chapter Twenty

Seraphina is awoken early by the train shuddering heavily, making the diamond chandelier rattle. She groans and sits up, stretching her arms out wide. Golden light streams in through her windows from the low morning sun. Seraphina stands and walks over to the glass doors that lead out onto the balcony. She twists the little golden lock and then slides the door open.

Cold air immediately rushes into the cabin, making Seraphina's hair dance wildly around her. Unaffected by the cold, Seraphina steps out onto the balcony and leans on the golden rails. Around them are wide, open grassy planes. In the distance, Seraphina can see a forest. From here, it looks like a tiny green blob. A long sigh leaves her mouth and her chest lurches. A lump forms in her throat and her eyes sting as she longs to be back in her own forest with Calla.

Seraphina closes her eyes and swallows away the tears. She needs to start working on accepting that this is her life now. With that thought in mind, Seraphina turns and walks back inside.

Whilst she was out of her room yesterday, the general had clothes delivered and put away in her wardrobe. She guesses that Theodora is somewhere on the train and has spent her time working on an array of outfits for her. 

She pulls out a loose ivory top with a high collar and a long, navy skirt. Around her waist, she puts a thick brown belt, hiding the seam where her top is tucked into the skirt. The outfit is pleasantly simple and Seraphina smiles at her reflection. Her hands run through the soft material of the flowy skirt. A little giggle leaves her mouth as she swishes it around her.

Once she has finished getting ready and has tied her hair back in a braid, she heads to the end carriage with the map. When she arrives, Nysa is already there, sitting on the sofa at the end. She wears a similar outfit to Seraphina. It still doesn't look right on her. 

As Seraphina approaches, she notices Nysa sitting with her legs curled up against her chest, her eyes distant as she stares at the views.

"Morning," Nysa says quietly.

"Good morning," Seraphina replies and takes a seat next to her. 

For a few moments, they sit in silence. When Nysa speaks, Seraphina almost jumps.

"I would like to apologise," she says.

"For what?" Seraphina frowns, looking at her with confusion.

"For how I spoke to you on the first day."

"Oh," Seraphina says, her eyes widening, "Oh, it's okay. You have nothing to apologise for."

Nysa sighs, her eyes not looking away from the windows. "It has been hard," she finally says. "And I judged you too quickly. I thought you were going to be weak, and naive."

Seraphina laughs. "I am," she jokes.

Nysa smiles and lets out a small laugh. Seraphina can't help but laugh too.

"You are a little bit awkward," she agrees. "But you aren't weak. I saw your trial. You fought well."

"Thank you. How did Nathanial pull that off? You weren't meant to see the arena before your go."

Nysa just turns to her and raises an eyebrow, trying to hide her smile.

"Right, yeah, it's Nathanial Roark."

Nysa nods her head. "I was very close to stepping in. He told me to a few times. But I just knew you would get yourself out of danger."

"Yet you still thought I was weak," Seraphina says, raising a brow. Nysa laughs.

"Not all strength comes from fighting, Phina," she says. "I thought you were weak with your magic and with yourself. You lack confidence, you lack that bite that stops people from taking advantage of you."