Chapter 3

Derek's POV

Life as a rogue definitely isn't easy, especially if you have a son to take care of.

My mate was just killed, and it was mostly my fault, because I was the one that convinced her to be with me, even though we both knew that we weren't each other's mates.

We were happy for the last few years, but then her mate came to our pack, and he found out that she was with me, instead of waiting for him.

So, he killed her, before she even had a chance to explain herself, then he started to make his way towards me.

He was a lot more muscular than me, even though I'm definitely not skinny, so I knew that I won't have much change against him.

Luckly, I'm a lot faster than him, so I managed to run to the pack house, and I took my son from his babysitter, before I started to run towards the pack border.

I wish that I could have gone to the Alpha of my former pack, but I knew that the laws of our pack clearly said that it's unacceptable to be with anyone that isn't my mate, so I would have most likely been punished, or maybe even killed.

That's why now I have to take care of my four year old son by myself, and in the middle of the woods, which definitely isn't the safest place to stay.

"I'm scared." Peter tells me, while he looks out of the cave they were staying at tonight.

It big enough for us, so we will have to move somewhere else soon.

"I know, we're close to that pack that I told you about, so we will be safe when we will reach it." I tell him, hoping that it will calm him down.

I have no idea how far that pack is, or if we're still going in the right direction, but I hope that we will reach it soon.

After a while, I hear something move below the cave, so I stand up to see what's going on, and I see a rogue who's sniffing the ground, most likely catching our scent.

We used the scent blockers, but the rain must have washed it away, and I forgot to use more of it, so now we will have to get away from here, before he will find us.

I quickly motion for Peter to come over, before I shift into my wolf form, and I let him climb on my back.

Then I step out of the cave and I make my way down the rocks, thankful that the rogue didn't notice us yet.

Then I run as quickly as I can, in the direction of where the pack that were going to is supposed to be.

I run for a few hours, but I stop quickly when I smell a scent that I instantly realise that belongs to my mate.

Then I sniff the air, and I swear at myself, because I was concentrating on running as quick as possible, and I almost passed the pack that I was looking for.

After a moment, I start to run again, this time towards my mate, but I'm not sure if I'm happy that I will meet then or not.