2

NADIRA

I walked back home alongside my sister Nadia and her friend Aisha.  We went to a nearby store to purchase tissue rolls for my mother. A maid had been asked to go, but I jumped at the opportunity to see the outside world while my father was out. He allowed me to study abroad for four years but was caged in the house whenever I returned to Nigeria.

We giggled as we walked through the gates but paused immediately when we noticed our father's car in the parking lot. Nadia and I shared a fearful look before walking into the house. We tiptoe through the hall, hoping to get to the stairs without being noticed.

We got closer to the stairs, and for a split second, I felt relieved. But my smile falters once we hear footsteps. We froze, unable to turn around.

"Where have you girls been?" comes my father's voice. Still, we did not turn around as fear consumed us.

"Are you all suddenly deaf?" he asks.

We turn around slowly and meet his stern gaze. "We went on an errand for Mom," I answer.

He stares intently as if he is searching for a sign of untruthfulness. "Your mother sent you on an errand? On foot?" he questions, walking closer.

"No. She asked one of the maids to go, but she was swamped, so we went in her place since it was close by," I admit.

"You couldn't send the driver or gateman? I told you never to step outside this house without my approval or supervision," he bellows, and we wince.

Nadia lowers her head. "We're sorry, Baba. We just wanted to help," she says.

"Your helpfulness should stay within the vicinity of this house. I do not pay them a monthly salary for nothing," he responds.

We both nod whilst Aisha keeps her gaze on the floor. "We're sorry, Baba. It won't repeat itself," Nadia replies.

He glares at me as she finishes. "I see you're too big to apologise," he says.

"I'm sorry," I spit, and my tone takes him aback.

I hadn't meant to sound rude, but I didn't see the point in this. Why did I have to be caged indoors when Najib could freely roam around town as he pleased?

My father was a traditional man with questionable ways of thinking. He was loving and never failed to provide for us, but he had a backwards mindset. It is the 21st century, for crying out loud. He blatantly favoured Najib over us. He wouldn't even let us learn how to drive.

The only way to escape was to move out. And to do that, you'd either risk getting disowned or get married. My older sisters favoured the latter and quickly found suitors. On the other hand, I was failing miserably in using that option. I've set my sights on someone who doesn't see me that way, but I've refused to give up hope. Unrequited crushes are not for the weak.

He glares at me before turning to Nadia. "Does your husband know you're here?" he asks her.

"Yes. He dropped me off earlier," she answers.

"It's getting late. Ask the driver to take you home," he orders before walking back into the living room.

I huff and run up the stairs as he leaves. Getting to my room, I fall into the bed and scream into my pillow. I had just two more weeks of summer vacation left then I would be back in school. Although being abroad wasn't as freeing as it sounds, it was still better than being stuck here. Mrs Miller, my caretaker, let me do much more than my father allowed.

She'd let me stay out a little over 10 pm and go to the store alone. She was instructed to take me to school and pick me up, but if I begged hard enough, she'd let me walk. Granted, she thought it was strange and overbearing for a 20-year-old to have a nanny, but she valued her paycheck too much to express this to my father.