49

NADIRA

"It feels good to be home," I say to my family, stretching my arms.

Nadia flips me off and adjusts her head on our mother's lap. "Shut up. You went abroad and lived life while some of us have been hunched over a toilet."

I giggle and stick my tongue out at her. "How is that my problem? You didn't consult me before getting pregnant." Our mother smiles as she pats Nadia's head softly.

"What did you get me?" Najib asks.

I scoff and hiss. "I didn't get you shit," I respond.

He runs over to me and grabs my bag. "Fine. I'll take whatever is in here."

I stand and chase after him. "Bring it back, you fucker!"

"Kai! Aren't you too old for this?" Our dad asks, popping out of his room.

"He took my bag," I whine, stomping my feet. He shakes his head and motions for Najib to bring the bag.

Najib points at me accusingly. "She didn't bring back anything from her trip."

"Did you even bother to check the bag in Mom's room? Idiot!" I yell.

Baba sighs and shakes his head. "That's enough. Give her back her bag."

Unwillingly, Najib hands the bag over, and I snatch it. "Next time you touch my shit, I'll bite  your fingers off."

"I'd like to see you try. I'll send you into a coma before you do," he replies.

"Enough with the threats. Go back to your mother's room. You're giving me a headache," Baba responds, grabbing his head.

I stomp back to the room and climb into the bed next to a sleeping Nala. "Move," she whines, shoving me.

"Ahn Ahn! What's your problem?" I ask.

She shoves me again. "I don't like people being beside me when I sleep."

I gape at her with a questioning look. "When did this start?"

"Since I doubled in size. Now get the fuck away from me," she exclaims.

I look over to our mother, who's still on the couch with Nadia, and raise a brow. "What is happening? I came home to chill, not fight everyone."

"Nadira, your sisters are fragile right now. Just bear with them," she answers.

"And Najib? Is he pregnant, too?" I question in a curt tone. He scowls at me, and I hiss.

"Najib is just being Najib. You just haven't been in the same house for a while," she replies.

I groan and get off the bed. "I'm going home," I announce.

"You won't be missed," Najib says, and I flip him off.

"Greet Tayyib and your mother-in-law," My mom says as I walk out.

I exit the house and head towards the car. My phone buzzes in my bag as I wait for the driver to pull out the car. I dig into my bag and pull it out.