55

NADIRA

My sisters gave birth four days apart, and my mother opted for a joint naming ceremony. They both had baby girls, and Nala named her baby Farida after our mother, while Nadia wanted something cuter and went with Iman.

The joint festivities meant twice as many people in my parent's house. As I made my way through the sea of people, I found myself being constantly pulled in different directions - there was always someone who wanted my attention or assistance. After a long day of running around, my legs began to feel weak and shaky. Meanwhile, my mother played the perfect hostess, entertaining her guests with lively conversation and delicious treats. On the other hand, my sisters looked on with a mixture of boredom and irritation as their little ones were passed around from one relative to another.

I finally escaped the crowds and sneaked into my mother's room to catch a quick breath. I plopped onto the couch and rested my head. My eyes shut, and I planned to catch a quick nap, but my sisters ruined it by bursting into the room with their babies in hand.

"Look how dirty her shawl is dan Allah," Nadia says, placing Iman on the bed and gently unwrapping her.

Nala hisses. "I don't know why mom keeps letting everyone hold them. We don't know what diseases people have." She strips her baby and hands her to me. "Hold her while I get a change of clothes."

I gently take baby Farida into my arms and smile at her sleeping form. She squirms a bit and clenches her tiny fists. "Such a cutie," I coo, playing with her cheeks.

"I think I might have to give Iman a bath," Nadia complains, and I laugh.

"Aren't you guys taking this a bit too far?" I ask, and they glare at me. I lay the baby on my lap and raise my hands in surrender. "I'm just saying. No one looked disease-riddled," I explained.

Nala shakes her head. "Can you see diseases?"

"Exactly. Babies are very sensitive, Nadira. You'll understand once you have yours," Nadia adds.

Nala takes Farida and wipes her down before putting her into a onesie covering every inch of her body while Nadia heads into the bathroom to attempt a bath herself.

Our mother walks in and smiles at us. "I've never felt so fulfilled," she sighs, and I smile back. Nala grimaces, and our mother laughs. "Stop micromanaging everything, they'll be fine."

"You don't know that!" Nadia responds, popping out of the bathroom.

"What are you doing in there?" Mom asks.

"I want to give her a quick bath," she replies, and our mom gasps.

She hurries over and collects Iman from her mother. "You haven't been present at bath time since she was born. What do you know about bathing babies?"

Nadia rolls her eyes. "How hard can it be?"

"Very! What if you had dropped her?" Then what? How do you explain to her father?" Our mom scolds. "I'll change her, so just sit down."

Mom gets busy changing Iman and suddenly turns to me. "I forgot to tell you. Your mother-in-law and sisters-in-law are here, so take Farida to them. They're in the small living room. I'll bring Iman once I'm done."

"Okay," I replied, getting up. Nala hands Farida to me and collapses into the bed.

I quickly make my way to the living room. I exchange pleasantries with Mama and hand the baby to her. Farida makes her rounds through the room as the girls and I talk nonstop. Mama brought Iman, and she and Mama joked about who they looked like.