24

NADIRA

I wince and move my head slightly as the hairdresser braids my hair. My mother had sent her after seeing my hair on FaceTime yesterday. She went on a rant about how I didn't look put together. Braiding my hair was a hassle. Sitting for hours while someone manhandles my hair was exhausting, but I had given in due to boredom.

Although Tayyib and I weren't fighting anymore, he was still hard to get a hold of. The week had flown by quickly with Tayyib in his office, and me bored out of my mind. My schedule had opened up since Amna returned, and I no longer had Abdulrahim to care for.

I mostly saw Tayyib in the evening as he left for work when I was still asleep. When he returned, he first went to the main house to greet Mama, then came home. He'd either find me in bed or one of the living rooms.

Amna, Laila and Kausar had their kids and husbands to worry about, and Manal had started her masters program. She had taken a year off and was now finding it hard to adjust, so she was barely seen. Everyone was busy with something apart from me. I couldn't even be occupied with my own husband because he was barely here.

Once the hairdresser was finally done torturing me, I paid for the service and escorted her out. I hopped in the shower and got ready for the day. I wore a short-sleeved sweater with blue jeans and tied up my hair with a black scarf before falling onto the bed.

I looked around the room and huffed. I had read most books on my bookshelf and needed more motivation to start a new book. I grabbed my laptop and schemed through the shows and movies on every streaming platform possible but gave up when nothing sparked my interest.

I grabbed my phone and dialled Tayyib's number. I pressed the phone to my ear, waiting for him to pick up, which he didn't. I called a few more times before deciding to text.

Me: I'm really bored, so I'm going to Muhibba's.

I waited half an hour for a response, and once I didn't get one, I threw on my abaya and grabbed my bag. I head outside, ready to call for an Uber when I spot Junaid and Owais by their cars. I rush over to them with a smile.

"Ya Junaid, Ya Owais, Ina wuni?" I say.

"Lafiya Kalau, Nadira. How have you been?" they reply, in sync.

"Bored," I respond with a frown.

They laugh at my expression. "We've lived here all our lives with workaholic brothers. We know your pain," Owais says.

"I was hoping I could hitch a ride," I say, hopeful that they could drop me off.

"Of course. Where are you headed?" Junaid asks.

"My friend's house in Maitama," I say.

"You're in luck. We're headed that way," Owais says, unlocking his car. "Let's go," he yells enthusiastically, opening the driver's side. Junaid hops into the front seat, and I get into the back.

Owais drives like a race car driver. Super fast but very skilled. They drop me off at the gate, and I thank them profusely before running into the familiar house. I asked the gateman if they were in, and he informed me that only Muhibba was around. I navigate the house seamlessly and reach my best friend's room. 

"Hibba!" I yell, barging into the room.

"Naddy!" she yells back, abandoning the canvas she was working on and rushing over to me. "What are you doing here? How did you even get here?"