12

NADIRA

I straightened my hair as I video-called Tayyib. I had made it a routine to call him frequently since I'd returned. I'd tell him pointless stories, show him things I bought with his card, and ask about his mundane work life. He picked up on this and would be the one to call some nights. Something about this made me feel all gooey inside.

His upper body popped into the frame as he picked up the call, and I grinned.

"Guess what I did today?" I ask excitedly.

"What?" he says, a paper in his hand.

"I went to a silent disco party!" I revealed.

"Did you have fun?" he asked, still focused on the paper.

"Yes," I replied.

He didn't speak, just scrutinised the paper. He was dressed in a suit and sitting in the usual place he was always in at this time. Although he could pay attention to me and still do his work, I wanted more attention.

"You should go home," I say.

"The auction is in a week," he replied.

"Oh. We'll talk after the auction then," I say sadly.

He finally puts down the paper and looks into the camera. "Is something wrong? You sound upset?"

I roll my eyes and scoff. Couldn't he tell what the problem was? Or was I being too demanding?

"No. Everything is great," I answer, fearful of coming off as burdensome.

"I'm not stupid, Nadira," he replies.

"You sure?" I mutter under my breath.

"Yes. I'm sure," he replies, and I flinch. He was not supposed to hear that.

"If there is a problem, please tell me, Nadira. Is there something you want or need?" he adds.

I hesitate before nodding. "Yes, there is something I need."

"Please just say it—anything," he says, holding the phone closer.

"Attention," I mumble lowly.

"Louder," he orders.

"Attention!" I yell exasperatedly.

He sighs and removes his glasses. "I'm sorry, Nadira. I've been swamped and hadn't realised you'd want more than bland responses. I'll give you a lot more time when the auction is over. But for now, I have half an hour to spare, so you can talk my ears off," he says.

I smile at this before unleashing the many unnecessary stories I had gathered. He did his best to engage and offer more exciting reactions, although a smile had still not graced those lips. He didn't know it, but I was working hard to get him a smile.

After our call, I replied to Amna's many messages in the group chat they had added me to. Laila had sent a picture of a wall Nabil defaced with peanut butter and complained about how to clean it up. Whilst Manal tried to offer solutions, Amna did nothing but laugh, prompting Kausar to remind her she would soon also have a child to deal with.

Nabil was very naughty. I met him alongside Aliya and Amir the other day when I visited to say goodbye to everyone. Aliya was equally as mischievous as he was, but she knew how to hide it better. And Amir was quiet and reserved. Instead of playing with the others, he sat in between Tayyib and me, eventually falling asleep.

"Ke! Bachi kike?" Maryam asked, walking into my bedroom.

Trans: "Hey! Are you sleeping?"