39

TAYYIB

*FLASHBACK*

20 YEARS AGO

AGE 11

I held up my poster and analysed every aspect of it. It was almost perfect. All it needed was some colour. I put it down and searched through my school bag for my box of crayons, but I couldn't find it.

"Sa'ad!" I yelled out, storming out of the room. "Where are my crayons?" I ask, barging into his room.

"I didn't take them," he answers, playing with his Nintendo game cube.

"You're lying!" I accused, and he hisses.

"I didn't take your stupid crayons," he yells back.

"I'm telling Mama," I say.

I huff and storm out. "Mama, Sa'ad took my crayons, and I need them now," I complain as I enter her room.

Sa'ad follows suit. "I didn't," he says.

Mama puts her Quran away. "What do you need crayons for at this time?" she asks.

"My poster on the digestive system for school," I reply, and she sighs.

"Tayyib, I thought the poster was due next week?" she questions.

I nod. "Yes, but I need to finish it today so I can start on something else. And he took them!" I yell, pointing at Sa'ad.

"I told you I didn't take your stupid crayons," he yells, throwing a pillow at me. I take off my shoe and hurl it at him. He dodges, then charges at me.

I run towards him, but I'm grabbed from behind before I can get to him. "Why are you boys fighting?" our father asked, hoisting me up.

"Baba, put me down," I say, and he laughs.

"I won't put you down until you promise you won't fight," he instructs.

"He's accusing me of taking his crayons," Sa'ad yells as Mama holds him back.

Baba looks at him and smiles. "Did you take them, Sa'ad?" he asks, and Sa'ad shakes his head. "He says he didn't take them, Tayyib," he says, poking my stomach.

"I don't believe him," I huff.

"That's enough now, Tayyib. If your brother says he didn't take them, you should believe him," Mama says as Baba puts me down. "No more fighting. You can get new ones tomorrow," she adds.

I shake my head. "No. I need them now," I argue.

"It's late, Tayyib. We can go to the stationary store tomorrow, and you can pick out as many crayons as you want," Baba reasons, but I shake my head again.

Yasir walks in with Junaid and Owais. "I think I found your crayons," he says, holding up their stained hands.

I burst into sobs, devastated by the loss of my crayons. "I need my crayons!" I yell as Junaid and Owais giggle. "I'll kill you!" I scream, and my father picks me up again.

"Calm down, Tayyib. I'll go get you new ones," he says.

"No. It's getting late. No store will still be open by now," Mama says, and I cry louder.

"I'll look around, Halima," he replies.

"I don't like you going out this late, Muhammad, especially with the ongoing dispute," she says, concerned.