60

NADIRA

Tayyib and I looked down at Sudais with flabbergasted looks then at each other. "I don't know what to say," He speaks and I laugh in disbelief. 

A few days ago, I returned home after spending two months at my parents' house. The days flew by, and I watched the twins grow and change daily. While at my parents' home, I had plenty of help and hardly had to do much. Since returning, Tayyib and I have been working hard to establish a routine that suits all four of us, learning to care for our children on our own. 

Although Mama came over every morning and night to bathe them and Kausar and Manal took them for a few hours to give me some alone time, Tayyib and I still handled most of their care. Like my sisters, I have become very protective of my babies and was very wary of who held them, so the nannies we had hired were mostly idle.

Currently, Sudais has blown out his diaper up to his neck and Tayyib and I have been frozen in shock. His clothes and the sheets have been ruined and the thought of cleaning it up was jarring.  "What do we do?" I ask Tayyib. 

"What else if not clean him up. You can sit this one out, I'll take care of it," he says. 

I beam up at him. "Really?" He nods in response and I hug him tightly. "You're the best. I love you," I yell running out of the nursery. I wait in his room and half an hour later he walks in. "Are you okay?" I ask, smiling at his defeated form. 

"He peed on me," he replies with a sigh and I burst out laughing. "I need a shower," he says walking into the bathroom. 

Once again, I wait for him and once he finally emerges from the closet in suit trousers and a tucked-in button-down shirt, he slumps into the couch next to me. I shift and lay my head in his lap. "You are an amazing father already."

"You're an even better mother," he replies, stroking my head gently. 

Becoming a mother has been a journey filled with both trials and immense joys. From the moment I held them in my arms, I knew my life had changed in the most beautiful and challenging ways. The sleepless nights seemed endless at first, each one blending into the next as I tried to soothe their cries and meet their needs. 

There were moments when I felt overwhelmed, unsure if I could handle the demands of two newborns at once. Yet, amidst the exhaustion, there were countless moments of pure, unadulterated joy. Their first smiles, the way their tiny hands grasped my fingers, and the peaceful expression on their faces when they finally drifted off to sleep made every struggle worthwhile.

Throughout this journey, Tayyib has been my rock. His unwavering support and love have been nothing short of amazing. He has been involved in every aspect of our boys' care, from late-night feedings to changing diapers and soothing them when they were fussy. His patience and calm demeanour have been a steadying force, especially during the times when I felt like I was losing my grip. 

Watching him interact with our sons, seeing the tenderness in his eyes as he holds them, has deepened my love and admiration for him. We have learned to navigate this new chapter together, finding a balance that works for all four of us and strengthening our bond in the process.

Our families have also been a tremendous source of help and comfort.  Their support has been invaluable, not just in practical terms but emotionally as well. They understand the challenges of motherhood and have been a constant source of encouragement and reassurance.