19

*Disclaimer: this chapter may contain typos and grammatical errors. I travelled and forgot my laptop, so I can't edit properly.*

NADIRA

I hid in my brother's room before Tayyib arrived for the shoot before the event. My room is filled with friends, and I need a quiet space to eat and think.

I am sure Tayyib will not speak to me today, just like yesterday. His chances of showing up with a bored expression and staring at me blankly were high.

As long as he sticks to this, my strategy of avoiding eye contact and staying silent would work. By tomorrow night, I won't be able to use this any longer, but that is for future Nadira to worry about.

I stretched my legs and sighed, thinking about getting up soon. Dressing up for tonight's event was less strenuous than yesterday. My beaded fitted dress did not have a corset and was much more comfortable than the previous dresses I had worn throughout this hell week. My heels were shorter, so my feet were much more comfortable.

The dinner was the last thing I had to be dolled up for. Tomorrow's events are a walima at his family's home in the morning, then yini at my parents in the afternoon. Then, at night, I would be conveyed to my "forever home",  as my mother had said. Something I was so not looking forward to.

I took spoonfuls of fried rice as I scrolled through Instagram aimlessly. The amount of pictures and videos of me that had popped up on my feed was nauseating. It's not a bad thing per se, but why does everyone have to see me with my forehead pressed against Tayyibs?

I've been training myself, so I will not cry tomorrow night. The pictures floating around social media were embarrassing enough. If people had videos of me bawling my eyes out on their phones, I wouldn't be able to live that down. I'm not sure if I will succeed, but I sure as hell will try my best.

I brushed the thoughts off as Nadia walked in. She wordlessly handed me my toothbrush and toothpaste, and I grabbed it. I rushed into Najib's bathroom and brushed my teeth as carefully as possible, making sure not to smudge my make-up. Once finished, we returned to my room, and the makeup artist reapplied my lipstick.

"Let's go," She says, ushering me out. I slip through the door and head towards the living room with my sister in tow. I wasn't speaking much to my sisters these days. Our relationship had nearly crumbled, and as much as I didn't like it, I wouldn't initiate rebuilding.

Siblings are supposed to look out for each other. Be each other's keeper. Even if I was wrong, they could have kept it from Mom and helped me through it, but Nala wanted to run her mouth.

Yes, I am beefing my sisters. Is it immature? Yes. But so what? Who's going to stop me?

"You look beautiful," Nadia says as we reach the living room.

"I know," I answered blandly.

"You're still upset?" She asks, grabbing my arm.

"Wouldn't you be?" I counter, freeing myself from her grasp.

She rubs her temple and sighs. "Nadira, this is mostly Nala's fault. I didn't say a thing to Mom," she says with a sad look.

I roll my eyes and scoff. "But you let her," I replied.

"You know how she is!" She complains.