32

The severity of what is happening in Gaza is gravely distressing. I've been finding it so difficult to cultivate ideas and write another chapter because my mind has been occupied with it. A couple of days ago, the internet and communication were wholly cut off in Gaza, leaving the world with no way to reach the residents or see what was happening, and Israel launched its most offensive attack.

I know we all feel hopeless in this situation, but do not lose hope or doubt the power of prayer. Please keep the people of Gaza in your prayers. Palestine will be free.

Pray for Congo

Pray for Sudan

Pray for Syria

Pray for Iraq

Pray for Afghanistan

Pray for Gaza

NADIRA

When we landed in Gombe, cars were already lined up, ready to take us to the house. Fadil and Abdulrahim were fussy from the plane ride, and Amir was fast asleep, so we hopped into the cars and sped off without wasting time. The house was just like the one in Abuja. It mimicked an estate. We all had our own gated homes in the big compound.

Unlike our house in Abuja, I had picked out the decor and furnishing for this house because Tayyib had left it empty, so it was much brighter and had more personality. Tayyib was not a fan. He had grimaced at the beige walls and blue living room chairs.

"What time is the event?" I asked him as I striped out of my clothes.

"At four. But we have to go to my aunt's house now. Mama wants to see us. Zayn, Yasir, Rayan and their wives have left already," he responded, getting off the bed.

I texted Amna to ask which anko we were meant to wear today, and she let me know it was the yellow and purple atamfa. I prayed Zuhr with Tayyib, applied a light coat of makeup, changed clothes, and headed out to meet Sa'ad and Amna, who had also stayed behind. Abdulrahim had crawled all over the plane, which annoyed Amna, so she stayed to bathe him.

We got into the cars and began the drive. "What's with the football roundabout?" I ask Tayyib, looking out the window.

"I wouldn't know," he replies nonchalantly, and I hum.

"Are you okay? You're uninterested in everything I say," I complain.

He grabs my hand and kisses it. "I'm sorry, baby. My mind is elsewhere," he says.

I squeeze his hand and give him a weak smile. "That's okay." It wasn't okay, though. I wanted to know what was bothering him this much, but I didn't want to pry. I let the conversation die, and we stayed silent for the rest of the drive. We arrived at his aunt's house.

"Sa'adu!" A man yells as soon as we descend from the cars.

"You want to get married in a wheelchair, right?" Sa'ad asks the man, and he chuckles in response.

"Come on, Sa'ad," He says as they hug. He exchanges pleasantries with Amna and coo's at Abdulrahim. "Tayyib, you certainly look brighter," he says to Tayyib as he pulls away, and Tayyib gives him an uninterested look.

He then turns to me and smiles. "The famous Nadira. Tayyib, won't you give me a proper introduction," he says, nudging him. "Actually, don't. These two won't introduce me how I'd like," he says, pointing at Sa'ad and Tayyib.