41

TAYYIB

I smile down at my phone and text Nadira, "I love you". Ever since I had said it, she wouldn't let an hour go by without me saying it to her. I didn't mind, so long as it made her smile.

"I still can't get used to this," Sa'ad says, glancing at me from the side as he drives.

I lift a brow. "Used to what?"

He gestures to my face. "The smiles. But I'm glad to see you like this," he replies, and I pat his shoulder.

"I'm happy to be happy too," I admit. "And I owe it all to you guys," I add, smiling at him.

His mouth hangs open in shock. "Focus on the road," I tell him, looking away. Instead, he pulls the car over. "What are you doing?"

"Tayyib. You smiled at me! You finally get the twin thing," he says excitedly, and I grimace.

"What are you? 5?" I ask, but he still keeps his smile.

I felt a pang in my chest for a second. Sa'ad always worried about me and constantly looked out for me. Even when I was cold to him, he didn't get offended. He would still openly tell me about his problems or successes. He would still ask for my opinions even if I showed him my disinterest.

I hardly opened up to him and pushed him away when he asked. But he didn't care. He was there and ready to listen anytime I was willing to speak. He always reminded me that a face was not the only thing we shared, and he took that seriously. I, on the other hand, have been a terrible twin to him.

"Do you feel bad seeing how Yasir and Zayn treat each other?" I ask.

His smile falters and is replaced by a weak one. "Sometimes," he answers.

"Do you wish we had that?" I question.

He laughs lightly. "In a way, we do. I talk, and you groan," he replies. "But come to think of it. Why did you use Zayn and Yasir as examples when Junaid and Owais exist?"

I shake my head. "Theirs is too weird," I answer, and he laughs. "The talking and groaning is unique to us, but I don't want that anymore. I don't want you to feel like I don't value you as my twin," I add.

"I've never felt that way. Sometimes, it hurt a bit, but my hurt was nothing compared to what you were going through. Besides, whether you voice it or not, we all know you love us," he responds.

I scoff. "I never said that," I say, and he hisses.

"Tayyib, in case you haven't noticed, you enjoy doing things that make our lives easier. That's your thing, acts of service," he says.

Do I? I've never really thought of it like that. I brush it off and turn back to him. "Whatever. Anyway, we should have a healthy relationship. You can keep talking, and I won't groan. And sometimes I'll speak as well," I say, and he smiles.

"Tayyib, this could be it."

"Could be what?"

"The day we finally tap into our telepathic twin abilities."

I hiss and nudge him. "Start the car," I say, and he bursts out laughing. "Hurry up, I don't want to be late.

"No, think about it. We could harness our powers and be more powerful than Junaid and Owais," he says, and I open the car door to get out. He laughs and grabs my hand. "Okay, okay. I'll stop."

"Just drive," I say.

"Seriously though, I'm happy we had this conversation. But there's one thing I'm yet to hear," he says, and I glare at him.