31

NADIRA

We bid Mama farewell and a safe trip as she left for the airport with Aliya and Nabil. She was going ahead to help out with the wedding, and Aliya and Nabil chose to tag along. Amir had stayed clutched to his father despite Kausar's best efforts to get him to go. 

"Let's go. The meeting is in an hour," Yasir says, passing Fadil to Laila. 

I walked hand in hand with Tayyib to his Range Rover. "I'll be going to my parent's house in a bit, then to the tailor," I informed him. 

"Tell one of the drivers to take you," he replies, unlocking his vehicle, and I nod. 

Zayn approached the passenger's side with Amir still clung to him. "I don't feel like driving today," he says, unlocking the door. 

"Babe, take Amir," he says to Kausar. 

"Take him with you," she replies, and he gives her a look. 

"You expect me to take him to work?" he asks. 

She gives him a cheeky smile. "Clearly, he doesn't want to let go, and I have errands to run all day," she replies, and he sighs. He opens the back door, puts Amir in, and then straps him in. 

"I'll see you later," Tayyib says, kissing my forehead. 

Kausar hugs Zayn briefly, then runs into the house. I waved at them before joining Amna and Laila, who were standing by the gate to my house. 

"You sure your tailor will deliver?" Amna asks.

"Yes. He said he could. I'll call you guys when I leave my parent's place, and then we'll meet at his shop," I reply, and they nod affirmatively.

We disperse, and I quickly get ready for the day. I put on a simple black abaya before heading to the kitchen to get some food. 

"Good morning, Ma," Evelyn, one of my house girls, says. 

She and the other two girls have been here since I moved in, but I hardly saw them. They would always clean the house early in the morning before I was awake, clean I and Tayyib's rooms when we were out of the house, and then retire to the staff quarters.

"Good morning, Evelyn. How are you?" I respond. 

"Very well, ma," she replies, wiping down the counters. 

Something on her hand catches my eyes, and I raise a brow. "That's a very nice ring you have there, Evelyn," I say, serving myself some food.

She looks down at her hand and then at me. "I found it in the bin outside your room, Ma. I assumed you didn't want it. I hope you don't mind," she says, a bit fearful.

So that's where Tayyib's first gift had gone. The princess-cut diamond ring was beautiful. "It's okay. You can keep it," I reply as I begin eating. "It's very valuable. If you need extra money someday, you should sell it," I add, and she smiles. 

I felt terrible letting her have something Tayyib had gotten for me, and at the same time, I would also feel bad taking it back. 

I send her to find me one of the drivers and head out after breakfast. I arrive at my parent's house and smile. It was my first time here in over a month. I hop out of the car and rush inside to my mother's room. I knock and let myself in. 

"Mama," I call out.

"Nadira?" she replies, rushing out of her bathroom. 

"The one and only," I respond, and she smiles.