40

TAYYIB

"A few weeks off work will do you well, Mr Muhammad," the doctor says as she escorts me to the lift.

I nod. "I'll consider it. Thank you," I reply, getting in. She smiles and waves as the doors close. I rub my temple as the elevator moves slowly. I badly wanted to hide out at the ranch for a while, but Nadira was waiting for me, and she wouldn't let it slide. Going home meant I might have to have conversations I needed to prepare for.

I took out my phone and replied to her text, letting her know I was leaving the hospital now. Once the doors open, I step out and head towards the exit. Before I could reach it, a voice halted me.

"Tayyib?" the voice calls. I turn towards the direction of the voice and find Nadia staring at me with a smile. "I thought it was you. But why are you here? Are you okay? Is it Nadira? Did something happen?" she rushes out.

I shake my head. "No. Everything Is fine. I just had a routine checkup," I lie.

She places her hands on her chest and breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank God. I'm here for my first ultrasound," she announces excitedly.

"Ultrasound? Congratulations," I reply.

She looks at me, confused. "Nadira didn't tell you? That girl is so forgetful," she complains.

With everything that happened yesterday, Nadira did not have time to tell me about her sister's pregnancy. "She was quite busy. I'm sure it was at the back of her mind," I respond.

I congratulate her once more before she heads to her doctor's office. I leave the hospital and make my way home. Upon my arrival, Nadira was waiting for me in the entryway, her arms stretched wide.

"Were you timing me?" I ask, and she gives me a cheeky grin.

"You're three minutes late," she informs.

I smile and embrace her, causing her to sigh into my chest, and I lean down and kiss the top of her head. "This feels nice," she says, and I hum. It certainly did feel nice. I missed her more than I thought. Holding her has become my favourite thing.

"Mama wants to see you," she tells me, propping her chin on my chest.

"Did she say why?" I ask, cupping her cheeks. She shakes her head quickly. Almost suspiciously.

I raise a brow and narrow my eyes at her. "You're hiding something, aren't you?" I question, and she shakes her head again. Calmly, this time.

"She just wants to know you're okay. I told her I had to force you to eat last night, and she was concerned. I didn't mean to rat you out," She admits sheepishly.

I squish her cheeks together, and she pouts. "You'll have to make it up to me when I get back," I tell her, and she nods enthusiastically. I peck her lips and let go of her. "I'll be quick," I add.

She mumbled something under her breath that sounded like, "No, you don't," and I cock a brow. "Pardon?"

"Nothing. Just go so you can return soon," she says, pushing me towards the door. I give her a pointed look before exiting and walking to the main house.

As I walk into my mother's room, I'm met with the familiar faces of my brothers and mother. They looked at me with concerned eyes and offered weak smiles. "Why does this look like an intervention?" I ask.

"It's adjacent," Sa'ad answers, and I tilt my head questioningly.

"Come sit next to me," Mama says, patting the spot beside her. I glance at each of them warily before going over and sitting down beside her.