28

NADIRA

Eighteen hours of being cooped up in my room. Eighteen hours void of communication or socialisation. Eighteen hours filled with suffering. I was angry. I was hurt. I was low-spirited. I was confused.

I hadn't returned any of the missed calls, I hadn't called my friends or replied to their concerned texts, I hadn't opened the door earlier when Tayyib came begging for me to at least come out to eat and when Amna and Laila visited, I pretended to be asleep.

Mama had gone on a trip, so it was much easier for me to stay inside as I didn't have to go to the main house to greet her and risk seeing anyone. It was just me and my thoughts, which was not good.

My stomach had been rumbling, and I finally decided to eat something. I unlocked the door and rushed down to the kitchen. I didn't know if Tayyib was around and didn't want to find out.

I looked through the food warmers on the countertop. Food was always prepared in the main house and brought to ours, so I never knew what was on the menu.

"Fried rice doesn't sound too bad," I said out loud. I served myself and ate quickly and quietly. Once finished, I cleaned up and ran back upstairs.

On the ottoman in the hall was a sad-looking Tayyib. Boohoo, I thought, looking at his solemn expression. He stood and came over to me.

"Can we talk?" He asked.

"Absolutely not," I replied, trying to cut around him and enter my room.

He gently grabs my hand and pulls something from his pocket, "Please have this."

He drops the velvet box in my palm, and I roll my eyes. "You can't bribe me," I retort.

"I'm not bribing you. It's a birthday present. Happy birthday, Nadira," he says with a small smile.

It was my birthday? Did I forget my own birthday?

He let go of my arm, and I walked to my door. I drop the box in the small bin adjacent to the door and walk in. I knew he had seen me do it. I wanted him to see me do it.

I lock the door and fall onto my bed. I was drowning in so much upset that I forgot my birthday. What a lousy day!

I pray Asr and get back into bed. I had nothing to do and no one to see, so I got under the covers and shut my eyes. I didn't get any sleep because my mind was in overdrive, but I couldn't get up either. A knock pulls me out of my thoughts, and I listen closely.

"Naddy! Open up, it's us," I hear Saliha's voice.

I leap out of bed and unlock the door. My friends smile at me, and I try to hold back tears. Maryam pulls me into a hug, and the others join in.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask as we pull apart.

"Your husband asked us to come spend the day with you," Saliha replies, and I scoff.

And he claimed he wasn't trying to bribe me.

"We brought cake," Muhibba says, lifting the paper bag she held. "Let's get this party started," she beams.