17

NADIRA

And just like that, the calls and texts had ceased, the snow had melted, the flowers had bloomed again, and the sun had come out. Tayyib and I had not shared another word since that night. Maleeka's prediction had come true, and there was no point in refusing to accept it.

I was sad and angry that he hadn't reached out in months. I was frustrated at myself for lacking the courage to call. I was scared of what would come once I returned in two weeks. My friends had encouraged me to reach out first, but I just couldn't.

As the summer trickled in, my mother, sisters and brother arrived to begin shopping for my wedding and attend my graduation. Whenever they asked about Tayyib, I gave a vague response that deluded them into thinking we were doing well. I would be six feet under if my mother had found out about this.

I remained unenthusiastic as my sisters, and I shopped for heels and jewellery to go with my dresses. My mom had dragged Najib to escort her to Kilburn, but I was sure they were back home by now.

"How about this?" Nala asks, holding up a pair of blood-red Valentino pumps. I shrug, and she groans. "I swear, every day, you become more infuriating! You should be excited or at least act like it. We came all this way to help you, and you're acting like we're bothering you!" She yells, and a few heads turn our way.

"Don't shout in public," Nadia admonishes. "But she's right, Naddy. You haven't been yourself. You weren't excited during your graduation, and now you're unhappy about shopping. If something is wrong, tell us," she says, putting her arm around my shoulder.

I sigh and sit on one of the many couches in the store. "Promise not to tell Mom, and I'll tell you," I say.

"We promise," Nadia says, but Nala shakes her head.

"I'm not promising that. What if mom is the only person who can remedy the problem," she complains.

"God, you're insufferable," Nadia says irritatedly.

Nala brushes her off and sits beside me. "Sometimes your mother is what you need. There will never be anyone who can give you better advice," she reasons.

"After she dogs on you for hours straight," Nadia counters.

"Something every mother would do," Nala says, slapping Nadia's arm. "But for now, could you open up to us? We'll do our best to help, and if you're lucky, Mom doesn't have to get involved."

I take a deep breath before narrating everything that went down with Tayyib to them. As I ended the story, Nala's mouth was agape, and Nadia looked perplexed.

"So, you fought seven months ago and haven't spoken since then?" Nadia asks, pronouncing each word slowly. I nod, and her expression quickly morphs into one of anger.

"You idiot!" She exclaims, smacking my arm.

"Ow," I yelp, grabbing my upper arm.

Nala stands and begins pacing around the couch. "I can't believe this," she says, massaging her temple. "How can you be so foolish?" She asks, walking faster.

"You do know you're in the wrong here, right?" Nadia asks, grabbing my arms. I give her an unsure look, and she groans. "Fuck! Nadira, what do you use that brain for?" She asks, flicking my forehead.

I yelp and grab my temple, "Enough with the assault."

"Let's go home. I'm reporting you to Mom," Nala says, heading for the escalator.

"No! Nala, I'll fix it," I plead, running after her.

"You had seven months to fix it," she says, walking as quickly as her feet allow. Defeatedly, I walked behind, dragging my feet as slowly as possible.