36

NADIRA

I blew foam bubbles at Tayyib, and he smiled at my silly behaviour. I was in the bathtub, and he was leaning against the counter, watching me. The past couple of days have been heaven on earth. Whenever he was home, we would be joined at the hip. And I loved every second of it. I was on cloud nine. Overjoyed.

I smiled back at him, taking in his appearance. He only wore pyjama bottoms, allowing me to ogle his bare chest and arms. "You should get out soon. I don't want you passing out," he says, walking towards me. He pushes a stray braid behind my ear, then leans down and kisses my forehead.

"Pick me up," I say, putting up my arms.

He hums, carries me out of the bath and gently places me on my feet. He grabs a plush towel and wraps me in it. "You look like a little burrito," he says, and I giggle.

"I'll go get dressed. You can get ready for your meeting now," I say, wobbling out of the bathroom and rushing to my room.

After moisturising, I put on a long-sleeve top and bootcut jeans and headed downstairs for lunch. Tayyib walked into the dining room, donned in a well-fitting suit as I was finishing my French toast. He kissed my forehead before sitting opposite me.

"Want some?" I ask, offering him the last bite. He smiled and shook his head.

"No, thank you, baby," he replied.

I stick my tongue out at him and throw the piece into my mouth. "Your loss, stinky rat, "I say.

"Stinky rat?" he questioned, lifting a brow, and I laughed.

"It's a cute nickname. And you can't stop me from using it," I reply, pushing my plate forward.

He shakes his head, evidently humoured by my statement. "You're arrogant because I spoil you," he states, and I nod triumphantly.

"What time do you have to leave?" I enquire.

He looks down at his watch and then turns to me. "Now," he answers, rising from the chair. He kisses my forehead again. "I'll see you later," he says, and I wave as he exits the room.

"Now what?" I ask myself aloud.

I ran up to my room and put on a headscarf before walking to the main house and finding it empty. I learnt from one of the maids that Mama had gone out with Kausar, Manal and Fadil. Laila was attending a parent-teacher conference at the kids' school, and I already knew Amna was visiting her parents with Abdulrahim.

Junaid and Owais were the only ones home, so I stopped by at Owais's house. "Hello?" I called out once inside.

"In here," a voice yelled back.

I followed the voice into the living room and found them focused on a video game with different confectionaries and pastries spread out on the centre table. "What are you guys playing?" I asked, taking a seat.

"COD," one replied, eyes unmoving from the comically large TV.

"I don't know what that is, and I do not know who's who," I reply.

One shoves a beignet into his mouth and muffles, "Owais."

"Move Owais!" Junaid yells on the edge of his seat.

"I'm surrounded. There are players to my right and left. If I move, I'll get shot!" Owais yells back, and Junaid groans.

"The circle is about to close!" Junaid tells him, aggressively pressing different buttons on the control pad.

I watched the screen with a grimace as they played the violent game, shooting other players as they advanced. "This game is intense," I remark.

"You have no idea," Owais replies.