42

TAYYIB

I put down my iPad and picked up my buzzing phone. Seeing the name on the screen, I quickly answered it and pressed the phone to my ear.

Me: So you're alive?

N: I'm sorry. It's been so hectic over here.

Nadira had long forgotten about calling every four hours. She had called once the day she arrived and the next day, but it's been radio silence after that. I was sure she was doing well only because I asked the driver and security I sent with her.

Me: I see. At least I get to see you tomorrow.

N: About that,

She trails off, and I immediately knew where this was heading.

Me: You're not coming back tomorrow, are you?

N: Yeah, but it's because the bride will hang back for a day, and she'd like us to stay with her. I hope you don't mind.

I rub my temple and sigh.

Me: sure, go ahead.

N: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to give you the biggest kiss once I return.

Me: I look forward to it. I have to go now. I love you.

N: Alright, I'll see you soon. I love you, too.

She hung up, and I set the phone down. I look at Ahmad, who had walked in a second earlier. "Yes?"

"Sir, there's been an accident at the factory in Lagos. One of the machines malfunctioned, and many workers are injured," he says, and I perk up. "The American investors have also pushed forward the meeting scheduled for next week."

"Get a jet ready and tell Christina to go to my house and pack up some clothes for me," I instruct, and he nods. Since I was overseeing that particular factory, I would have to answer to the board, so I had to go there, find out what happened, and compensate the injured workers.

I called Mama to let her know I'd be going, then packed up the files I wanted to read on the plane. I head to Sa'ad's office to discuss it with him before the aircraft is ready to leave.

NADIRA

"Yo yo yo!" I shout, walking into Amna's room.

"Ke shut up. I'm trying to get this one to sleep," she replies, patting Abdulrahim's back, and I stick my tongue out at her.

"You won't even say you missed me? Such a loser," I retort, and she rolls her eyes.

I plop down onto the bed. "Why are you here?" She asks, and I hiss.

"Tayyib is nowhere to be found in the house, and he's not picking up," I tell her.

"Because he's gone to Lagos. There was an accident at a factory, and he's gone to deal with it," she replies, and I make an oh sound.

He didn't even let me know he was going. The accident must have been severe. "Do you know when he'll be back?" I ask, and she shakes her head.