35

NADIRA

I waved at Eesha as she got into the car with her Aunt and Mama. She waved back with a small smile, still sniffling and using a crumpled tissue to wipe her tears. I watched the many cars exit the gate and thought, "There is no way all these people are fitting on the plane." But figuring it out was their business, not mine.

I turned to leave when I spotted a familiar face."Imran!" I call out.

He spots me and walks over. "Hey, Naddy. I haven't seen you since the dinner on Sunday."

"I was busy throughout the Budan Kai, so I didn't have much time to mingle," I sigh. "What are you doing here?"

"I woke up late, so I had to rush here to say goodbye to Eesha," he says, and I smile sadly.

"You're going to miss her, huh?" I ask.

He runs a hand through his hair and sighs. "I didn't think I'd feel this way," he admits.

"Of course you would. That's your baby sister," I respond. He rubs his eyes and looks back at me with glossy eyes. "Are you going to cry?" I question, a bit shocked.

He shakes his head and rubs his eyes again. "No- no. I'm not going to cry. There's just something in my eyes," he lies, and I smile.

"It's okay to cry, Imran. Let it all out," I say, trying to offer him some comfort, earning a scowl.

I giggle at his expression. "Keep pretending to be tough, then," I say.

"I'll cry when I go home," he replies, and I nod.

"Oya now," I say mockingly. "I'm leaving soon, so I must go inside now. It was nice seeing you," I add.

He pulls out his phone and hands it to me. "I don't have your Nigerian number, and I'd like to discuss something with you," he says, and I raise a brow.

"Imran, you do know that I'm married, right?" I ask, propping my hands on my waist.

He chuckles loudly. "Respectfully, Nadira, you're a pretty girl but nothing close to my type. Besides, I've known you for more than six years. If I wanted to make a move, I would have," he says once his laughter dies.

I scoff. "I'll have you know I'm everyone's type," I retort.

He nods with a smile. "I'm sure you are," he jeers, and I glare at him.

"What is it that you want to discuss?" I ask, taking the phone and inputting my number.

"You know Zahra, right?" he asks.

"Eesha's friend Zahra?" I question, handing back the phone.

He nods, and I smile mischievously. "You've got a crush?" I ask, and he rubs the back of his head shyly. I holler and clap my hands in amusement. "You're so down bad that you're blushing," I tease, and he hisses.

"I'm done with this conversation. I'll text you," he says, walking away as I continue to laugh.

"Bye, Imran," I yell.

"Bye, Naddy," he yells back, getting into his car.

Walking into the house, I almost collide with Tayyib, standing right in front of the door with his arms crossed, and I shriek in fear.

What the hell is he doing here?

I place my hand on my chest to calm my beating heart. "You scared me," I tell him.