34

TAYYIB

We were seated on the floor in my mother's room, awaiting her admonitions. She glared at us harshly, tapping her foot furiously as she did. Standing from the couch, she clasped her hands behind her back and scowled.

"Mama, we're sorry," Zayn says, and she scoffs.

"Shut up," she barks.

"I told you to get off that high horse," Rayan spews.

Our mother looks at him angrily. "Muhammad!" she thunders, pointing at him.

"He's been disrespectful all day," Yasir says, and I sigh, knowing this wouldn't bode well for any of us—one thing to note: never speak when my mother is angry.

She shoots daggers at him with her eyes. "Just shut up! You will speak when I allow you to. Until then, all of you should keep your mouths closed. Not a word out of any of you!"

She sits back down and points disapprovingly at each of us. "I asked you to do something, and you blatantly disobeyed me. I specified the houses you should visit and instructed you to be cordial, but you ignored it. And as if that wasn't enough, you returned and fought amongst yourselves."

"You two!" she yells, pointing at Owais and Junaid. "You called your uncle a tool!" They both make faces and look away. "And you attempted to leave, ko?" she says, focusing on Sa'ad now, and he sighs.

"And the worst of all. You disrespected your brothers!" she bellows at Rayan. He opens his mouth to speak, and she stops him with a single look.

She points at Yasir and Zayn. "Are you children? Did you all of a sudden forget how to handle matters? Couldn't you speak to him indoors? Away from peering eyes? Without your wives present?" she asks. I watch as they bite their tongues, fighting the urge to argue.

Her attention turns to me, and I look away from her disappointed gaze. "Why did you not step in immediately? You know better than to let your brothers argue in public!"

"What has gotten into all of you? Why are you letting them come between you?!" she questions.

We all remain silent, and she clicks her tongue. "Speak!" she barks.

"Rayan forgets his place," Zayn says. "Just because we play around with you does not mean we aren't seven years older than you."

"My place! I'm sorry, let me lie down so you can step on me," Rayan says mockingly.

Yasir whips his head towards him and clenches his jaw. "One more insolent comment, and I will smite you!" he yells.

"Bismillah," Rayan responds, causing Owais and Junaid to chuckle.

"Rayan," Sa'ad says in warning.

Owais laughs. "Allow him to get beaten up, please."

"It'll be one hell of a show," Junaid adds.

Rayan balls his fists, and his nostrils flare. "Do not irritate me!" he retorts, and they laugh.

I sigh and turn to them. "Can you not be childish for once?" I ask. "You want them to respect you, but you do not do the same to your older ones?"

"Another one dick riding the high horse, I see," Rayan comments.

Sa'ad did not leave room for me to respond. "Kai! Choose your next words wisely," he warns, and Rayan scoffs.