Heal

Charles' POV

Lydia has been acting strange ever since we got home on Wednesday afternoon from hot laps. It's not noticeable to anyone but me because when I asked Max and Lando about if they thought she was acting different they looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I am, but I swear something is wrong. But I have no clue as to what.

I was hoping to talk to her yesterday about it but with our busy schedules it was impossible. When I got back to the airbnb last night from a meeting with Ferrari she was already asleep. And when I woke up this morning she was already gone, claiming she needed to be at the Red Bull event early but when I asked Jeremy about it he said they weren't expected until 10am.

I'm trying not to freak out but I'm starting to freak out. She's pulling away from me and I don't know why. Everything seemed perfect after the hot laps challenge. Both of us were so fucking happy. So what happened?

"Charles!" Morgan shouts and I turn my attention to see her looking at me with worry.

"I've been trying to get your attention for a minute now. What's going on with you?" She asks with concern and I sigh.

"Lydia is pulling away from me and I don't know why." I confess, maybe she knows why. They are best friends after all. Based on her expression though, she has no idea what I'm talking about.

"What do you mean? You two are stuck together like glue." She says with a laugh.

"I mean that after we got back to the airbnb on Wednesday from hot laps she's been distant. During the dinner and at the bar that night she barely talked to me. And I only saw her for maybe 10 minutes overall yesterday and haven't seen or heard from her at all today except for a text early this morning." I explain and this makes Morgan frown.

"I wouldn't read too much into it Charles. Wednesday night you both were hanging out with your friends, it's normal to not talk constantly. As for not really seeing her, she's been extremely busy prepping for the Red Bull event today. You don't have anything to worry about. Just focus on free practice today and you'll see her tonight, okay?" She says and as much as I want to argue that something is wrong, she's right. I need to focus.

"What did you need to talk to me about?" I ask.

"It's about the PI. He said he found out some interesting information about Lydia's parents that you might find interesting and said he emailed you. I don't have access to your email so I couldn't check what it was." She tells me and I perk up at that. I grab my phone from the small desk in my drivers room and hand it to Morgan.

"Check it for me? I have to go get ready." I tell her as I look at the time and realize free practice is about to start. She nods and sits down in the drivers room as I make my way to the garage.

For the next hour I focus only on driving and getting the feel for the track. It ends up being a pretty successful first practice with me ending up in P3 and Carlos in P5. I'm taking off my helmet and gloves when Morgan appears beside me and tells me good job.

"Thank you. Did you read what the PI sent?" I ask because I'm desperate to know what he thought I would be interested in seeing. She nods and tells me we should talk about it in my drivers room. When we get there she holds out my phone to me and displayed on the screen is some kind of will? I furrow my brows in confusion because why would I care about this?
Morgan sighs and zooms in on the document and I read the name on the beneficiary line, Ezra Reese Kincaid. My eyes flash to hers.

"This is the will of Lydia's maternal grandmother, Annabelle Reese. She apparently died about 7 months ago but the will was being withheld by the family because they were contesting it. Turns out it was valid, according to the county clerk office and the courts have now been trying to find Lydia since Ezra is under the age of 18." She explains and my mind begins to race with so many thoughts.