Rescue

Lydia's POV

I open my eyes and my problems are still on the forefront of my mind. How is this my life? I will never understand. Never in a million years did I expect this. When Charles got back to the airbnb this afternoon with Morgan and they both looked nervous my mind immediately just began running through every worse case scenario possible. I could have never in a million years expected what Charles told me was actually going on.

When I tell you I was shocked when he said he hired a PI, and even more shocked when he told us what they had already found. I didn't know Charles had even thought about hiring a PI and although technically it was all public record, I never in a million years would have been looking for something like that. I didn't even know my grandmother had died and that makes me irrationally upset. My history is complicated and I try not to think about it or talk about it. It was always easier to keep it simple and just talk about my parents disowning me instead of the ins and outs of all of the people involved. It's upsetting enough talking about my parents but it was devastating for me to even think of my grandmother, let alone talk about her.

She and I were extremely close from the day I was born to the day I told her I was pregnant. She was actually the first person I told because I trusted her the most. That was the day our relationship crumbled. I still remember her face when I told her I was pregnant and that I wanted to keep the baby and the words she spoke after.

"If you decide to keep this baby, it will be the worst decision of your life. You will ruin each other." She told me with utter horror written on her face. It broke my heart, because out of everyone, I thought she would be supportive. Instead she told me one of the worst things I've ever been told, and will never be able to forget.

That was the last thing she said to me and now she's dead. And for some reason decided to leave her fortune to Ezra instead of her own daughter. I don't understand why. Picking up the letter that the lawyer gave me I stare at it, contemplating if I want to open it or not. My finger runs along her handwriting, 'Lydia' written in her beautiful script that I always loved. She was the only one to ever call me Lydia back then. She hated that my mother named me after her. She always said I needed my own name so she always called me by my middle name. That's part of the reason why I decided to make that my chosen name after my parents kicked me out. 

"Lydia?" Charles whispers with obvious worry in his voice and I squeeze my eyes shut. I've been awful to him the last day and a half, completely avoiding him because I was creating fake scenarios in my head of why I thought he was being so dodgy with what he needed to talk to Morgan about. I hate that my mind immediately started doubting him. Especially now that I know it's because of this, of him digging up information on my parents so he can help me. I'm awful. I roll over to face him and he looks at me so tenderly that it makes me eyes tear up. He's been so amazing and supportive throughout this whole mess. His hand comes up to my face and he moves a piece of hair away from my cheek and puts it behind my ear.

"What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" He asks and I sigh as I stare into his eyes.

"A lot." I answer and I know it's not the answer he wants but it's the only one I have at this point. There's so much I want to tell him but I don't want to trauma dump on him when he needs to be focusing on his race. His eyes are begging me to talk to him and I want to but I don't want to distract him.

"Charles, you need to be focusing on your race, not my crazy family drama. I don't want to burden you with all of this." I tell him and I think for a moment he's going to drop it, but he doesn't.