Chapter 3: Hidden Affections

Sophie didn't want to admit her crush on Keefe to herself but she kept asking him out on dates without calling them dates instead calling the catch-ups even though they happened practically daily and they never had anything to catch up on. She just wanted to spend every possible second she could with Keefe. She was telling herself that she was just catching up for lost time of when she had never had friends but if that was true she would be hanging out just as much with her other friends. Today she would admit her crush on Keefe to Keefe so she told him to be dressed for the beach. She had decided not to do anything fancy but just take him to a little island just a few minutes away by ferry called Magnetic Island. She decided it was the perfect place to admit her crush because it was where they had their best memories.

"Come on. Let's go," She had told Keefe he would need to be blindfolded and she would carry him to their location. All she had told him was that was a beach. She had also put noise-canceling headphones on him so he couldn't hear the ferry or the announcements.

"Where are we going, Foster?" He asked her after a while.

"You'll see," was her only answer.

Once they got there she caught a bus from the ferry station to Alma Bay which was their favourite part of the island she walked straight to the water and took the headphones off but left the blindfold on. Then she dropped Keefe in the water and let him figure out what was happening. Eventually, he managed to get his blindfold off and see where he was. Then he looked at her with a look she had never seen on him before. She wondered what it was and then he did something she would never have expected. He kissed her. Straight on the lips. She had been preparing for him to say that he didn't feel the same way about her when she admitted her feelings to him and maybe even say that they couldn't be friends anymore. But she hadn't even gotten the chance to say anything before he'd kissed her.

"I love you, Sophie. I understand if you don't feel the same way but I need you to know that," Keefe said. She had never heard him call her Sophie and she definitely hadn't been expecting that. Then she said something she hadn't even realised was true.

The picture underneath is a view of Magnetic Island and the picture at the top is Alma Bay.