Chapter 6: Parental Revelations

"My mother is Lady Gisela and my father is Lord Cassius. I know. Best People of the Year award right?" Keefe seemed really unhappy when he told her who his parents were. She didn't understand why but she decided he needed something to make him feel better so she gave him a hug. He immediately sank into it. When he pulled away she thought he looked much happier so she decided to ask him the questions floating around in her head.

"Who are they? Is that why Marella seemed a little annoyed when she said we were friends? What's so awful about them?" When she finished asking her questions she realised her mistake. "I'm sorry. You don't have to answer all those questions."

"No. It's fine. I'm actually glad you didn't know who they are. It means you aren't just being friends with me out of pity. My father is just an extremely annoying person. I used to think he was the worst parent ever but then there was a major fight in my old city and my mother was unmasked as the leader of the Neverseen." Keefe said it so calmly Sophie had to wonder how long it had been since that happened.

"I'm sorry. That must've been terrible," Sophie said. She felt really bad for Keefe. The Neverseen was an international group of terrorists. They were mostly based in San Diego in America but they had slowly spread across the U.S and then across the world. She couldn't imagine how awful it must be to have the leader as her mother. At least she understood what Grady had meant by 'bad history'.

"Don't be. It was 9 years ago." Keefe did really seem to be over it which helped ease her pity. She had been trying to hide it but then Keefe said "No pity Foster. I mean it. I - am - over - her."

"Sorry. I just can't imagine how awful that must've been for you. You must've been like-" She got cut off by Keefe talking again.

"Seven." Keefe finished for her. "But you must have something even worse. You're adopted. Both of my parents are still alive. Though I wish they weren't," he added the last part as a mumble. But he was right she did have something worse something much worse. She decided to stall telling him for as long as she could.

"Being adopted doesn't always mean something bad. It could just be that my birth parents weren't ready for a child and gave me away before I even knew who they were," but Sophie could tell Keefe didn't believe her. She was proven right when he said

"and now tell me the truth." She decided he deserved to know. He had just told her something he very obviously didn't want to.

"My parents..."