Chapter 36: Surprise Adventure

When midterms arrived Sophie started pushing Keefe harder and he kept fighting back. To make it more bearable for Keefe to do homework Sophie gave him little rewards for every question. Some days she wouldn't give him any small rewards but instead one big reward for finishing everything. It helped him that he had a photographic memory because he could finish all his work in one day and have a day off before he got more.

"What do you want today? Small or big?" Sophie asked when they were about to start doing homework. Keefe basically lived with Sophie even after Grady had left. He only used his house for sleeping most of the time. Or running away when Tam and Linh went over to Sophie's house.

"Hmm ... big!" Sophie had been hoping he would say that. She had a plan she knew he would love.

"Do your work then," Sophie said. She hoped Keefe did it well because she would enjoy this surprise as well. "And get it done early or you will have to wait until tomorrow for your reward."

"What is it?!" Keefe asked like a five year old waiting for his birthday present.

"You don't get to know until you're finished all your homework, remember?" After Keefe finished his work Sophie looked through it to make sure it was acceptable and finished her own. She was very excited for Keefe's surprise.

"Do I get to know noooow?" Keefe whined as Sophie quickly looked at his work.

"Nope. You only get to know there is a bit of a walk to get there." Sophie said proudly.

"Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine! Just hurry uup!" Keefe begged. A few minutes later Sophie finished her work.

"Okay come on. I'll take you to your surprise now." Sophie told him as she led him down to the beach.

"Where are you taking me, Foster?" Keefe asked after a few minutes.

"Nuh-uh. You don't get to know," was all Sophie said in response. After about ten minutes more of walking they arrived at the surprise.

"Do you like it?" Sophie asked. She had been certain he would love it but now her anxiety was taking over and telling her would absolutely hate it.

"I love it, Foster! Come on!"

I know this is absolute rubbish but I have huge writers block right now and this took me three days to write. Any guesses what the surprise might be?