Chapter 17: Unspoken Feelings

"He told me ... not to ... tell you ... that I .. er ... love you ... and ... er ... to ... stay away from ... er ... you," Keefe admitted making Sophie very angry at Grady.

"Stay here. I have to go and yell at Grady. If anyone asks, I went to get fish and chips." Sophie told Keefe. Just as she was turning to leave Keefe spoke again.

"Two things. One, is here in this room or your house? And two, now I want fish and chips." He told her.

"Yes here is in this room and I will bring fish and chips back. And yes I will bring you your phone before I go." She gave Keefe his phone telling the others that he wasn't feeling well and left. She went straight to Grady's cabin.

"Hey, Sophie. What's up?" He answered when he opened the door.

"Can we go on a walk along the beach?" She asked trying to sound calm. Once they had been walking for about five minutes she decided it was a safe distance from her house to yell at him without her friends hearing. Sophie decided that the best way to do this was to start by acting like she had no clue what had happened and work her way up to yelling.

"So what did Keefe tell you when he went to talk to you before?" She thought that was a good place to start. It would give Grady a chance to tell the truth without him knowing she knew exactly what had happened.

"He told me that he would be sad to see me go next week," Grady answered. Okay, she was going to have to go with more questions than she had expected.

"That's weird. I dared him to tell you something you wouldn't want to hear." Sophie replied calmly.

"Well, he failed his dare then." Sophie decided it was time to start creeping towards the truth.

"I happen to know he didn't. He came back with his arms flying around like a jellyfish yelling "GRADY'S GOING TO KILL ME!""

"Fine. That's not what he said but he told me not to tell you what he did say," Grady was lying so easily Sophie decided she needed to tell him even more of the truth.

"That's weird because he told me exactly what he told you the moment I asked him. And I already knew the thing he told you." She decided not to say what it was he told her to give Grady more of a chance to tell the truth.

"Swizzlespice" Grady muttered under his breath. That was how he swore since he didn't feel comfortable swearing around Sophie. "Fine, he told me he loves you and that he hadn't told you." Finally the truth.

"And what did you say in response?" She knew he would probably notice she was being more formal than she normally was but she needed to keep calm and she couldn't do any better.

"I told him to tell you his feelings." Grady was worrying her about how good he was at lying.

"Actually I don't think that is what you told him." She was losing her hold on calm now. "Why do you keep lying to me?" Sophie half yelled.

"I'm not," she was getting really sick of his lying and decided to stop faking now.

"Yes, you are! Keefe told me what you said and it's not what you're telling me! Stop lying to me!" Sophie yelled.

"Fine! I told Keefe not to tell you and to stop being around you so you didn't have to go through the pressure of telling him you don't feel the same way!" Grady yelled back.

"HE TOLD ME TWO DAYS AGO! AND WHAT IF I DO FEEL THE SAME WAY?! DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT?" Sophie screamed getting more angry than she had been since the adoption agency had separated her and Amy. "GO HOME!"

That was another long chapter! Do you think my long chapters are better than equal to or less good than my shorter chapters in the goodness of the writing?