Chapter 42: Comforting Shadows

It had been two weeks since Sophie had had her little cry while ditching and it was happening more and more every day. It was getting closer and closer. At least now that it was the holidays she could distract herself more.

"So Edaline's coming! Are you excited?" Keefe asked her randomly on the first day of holidays.

"Yeah. I'm also a little nervous though. She can be a little ... embarrassing. Not as bad as Grady though." Sophie admitted.

"I don't think anyone can be as bad as Grady," Keefe assured her. "I'm sure we can handle Edaline. You do remember what Grady said to me right? He literally told me to never talk to you again. And look at us now. Better because of it."

"I guess. I'm kinda glad he was busy though. I don't think I'm ready for him to know about us yet."

"I don't think I am either," Keefe admitted. "I mean last time I saw him he told me never to talk to you again and ... I nearly listened." Keefe hadn't admitted this to her before. She leaned over and hugged him. "Did I make the wrong choice?"

"Hey. It's okay. No, you didn't make the wrong choice. You made the best possible choice you could have made. If you had stopped talking to me I would have camped on your front door for as long as it took for you to open it and talk to me again. I love you so much, Keefe."

"I love you too Sophie. And you have no idea how much I needed to hear that right now." Keefe told her.

"I'm always here. Whenever you need to talk about something or just have a hug or a snuggle or a kiss or whatever you need I'm here. All I want is for you to be happy."

"Thank you, Foster. I don't know how you do this. You've had an even worse life than me and you're always helping me and making me feel better."

"Maybe it's because I've had a harder life. Maybe that gave me the emotional experience. Or maybe I am just really good at hiding my feelings - even from myself - or I don't know. But you're always helping me too. Just by being around me, you make me feel better." Sophie had no idea why she was being so deep but it was probably good for her and for Keefe. She would have to think about that some more another time. But right now she needed to be there for Keefe.

Oh my dogs. I put so much of myself into Sophie!!! WHY?! I don't know! I get soooo deep and talk from personal experience!!! I am amazing at hiding my feelings even from myself! It's how I spend my day! And I am always making people feel better even through that! I HAVE HAD SUCH A HARD TWO YEARS AND IF I DIDN'T TELL PEOPLE THEY WOULD NEVER KNOW!!! Anyway chapters 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 and 50 then this is over. I'm sorry this is late but at least you guys get your stupid chapter on the right day. I am just trying to get all the torture out in one go

Thanks carlottarinouliDaughteroftheWild888 and _kotlc4eva_ for reading every chapter so far. Even though I hate writing this now I love knowing that I have at least three people who have read every chapter of it. Also thanks to SophieSencen91715 for reading it and loving it but still being so supportive of me for ending it. And thanks to LUN4R-ECL1PSE for reading it and anyone else who reads this book