Chapter 29: Lessons In Love

At some point, they must have both fallen asleep because Sophie woke up with soft lips still on hers and his slow breathing. Since she was rather uncomfortable she decided to wake him up in the kindest way possible, turning their lips touching into a proper kiss.

"Best way to wake up," Keefe told her when she pulled away.

"I'm glad. Keefe, I'm sorry for what I said last night. I feel terrible."

"Why are you sorry? You did nothing wrong!" Keefe told her seemingly shocked about what she had said. Sophie sat up before she kept talking.

"I don't know. I guess I just feel like I pressured you. Like 'You have to be my boyfriend until we're eighteen and when we're eighteen you have to propose to me' and I feel really bad about that because that's not how I wanted it to sound. I wanted it to sound more like 'if we're still together when we're eighteen and we both still want to get married to each other then maybe one of us might possibly propose'. You know?" Sophie explained.

"Yeah. I get it but who was it who asked you to be their girlfriend? Who was it who has given you two rings? Who was it that nearly asked you to marry me twice? Wh-" Sophie interrupted him. He sat up too.

"Twice? When was the second time?" Sophie was very surprised that he had nearly asked her to marry him twice. She had no idea he loved her that much already.

"When I asked you to let me spend the rest of my life with you. I wrote 'Will you let me be your husband in the sand and it felt so right. But it felt so wrong to unwrite it but I did anyway because I didn't want to pressure you. I know this is really confusing but you are the nightmare I never want to end."

"I don't think that's confusing but I do think we're turning into Robert California. Love is like a nightmare but it is also the best dream you've ever had. Love can be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever and that choice isn't one that you can make. It can save you from danger or it can be danger. It is a thing you never want to end. Love is a ride you won't survive unless you ride it right. I think we are riding the ride of love right but we might be wrong. Love does that. It makes you think nothing could ever happen but then it takes your whole life away. This is why I love and hate Robert California. He is such a freak and he is so freaky but when you can hear through all his rubbish he is saying some very smart stuff a lot of the time. But of course, he also says a lot of pure rubbish."

"I think we're riding love right too. And you're right, Robert California is definitely rubbing off on us. And I think as long as you tell me if you ever feel pressured then we might just survive this ride." Keefe told her.

"I think so too."