Chapter 28: Late-Night Confessions

Sophie and Keefe had gone to Arcadia Village Motel since they missed the last ferry again. She was lying awake and she knew Keefe was too.

"Keefe?" When he turned his head towards her she kept going. "Do you want to come over here and talk about why we're not sleeping?" By the time she had finished her sentence, Keefe was already walking towards her bed.

"Who should go first?" Keefe asked her.

"I think I should. Your diary has admitted plenty for you. I was awake because I was trying to figure out what you were about to say when you asked me to be your girlfriend. Your diary said 'Will you m-be my girlfriend'. What was the m?"

"The m was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I think I was about to say will you ...-" Sophie interrupted him.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"Thanks, Foster but I do want to tell you. I just don't want to make you feel pressured or scare you away. I think I was about to say will you m ...will you marry me." Keefe looked so upset with himself for admitting that.

"Hey Keefe? While we're admitting things I have something to admit to you - and to myself - I think I would have said yes. I know it feels like we're going super fast - and we probably are - but I think we're going slower than at least I think we are. I think I just admitted it to myself that I also had love at first sight. I know I was pushing down my crush on you for at least a week and then a week went by between admitting it to myself and admitting it to you but I think the crush started earlier than I thought. Three weeks earlier than I thought. I think I loved you the second I saw you and I just realised it now." Keefe had seemed frozen from shock since she said 'I think I would have said yes' but she was admitting all that to herself more than to Keefe so she had kept rambling but now Keefe just seemed unconscious. He was barely breathing and his eyes were shut tight.

"You might have said yes?" Keefe said so quietly he sounded like the wind.

"I think so." Sophie breathed back. "I mean ... I am not asking you to actually propose to me. We're way too young ... but maybe in a few years. When we're eighteen." Sophie told him. He kissed her so hard she got knocked back onto her bed. She kissed back as hard as she could but it was hard since she was fighting gravity. Sophie gave up on kissing him hard and switched to soft but with all the love in the world. Surprisingly, when she switched the type of kiss she was giving, Keefe did the same giving her the softest kiss ever. It was so light she could not feel it but she could feel all the love in it.