Chapter 317

When Jennie stepped out of her grandmother's room, Song Sisi and Song Keke had grown tired of twisting their bodies here and there. They were resting in the front yard and immediately lifted their eyes to watch her. However, Jennie did not return their gaze as she stepped out. She was expressionless and did not reveal any emotions.

Finally, as Jennie entered the car and the black, luxury car drove off, the mother and daughter trio sat in the front yard with darkened, defeated expressions.

Jennie sat quietly in the car. Her gaze was fixed outside the window and she did not speak at all.

Lisa saw that she had something on her mind and did not interrupt her. He gave her the time to sort her feelings out. Finally, when the car entered the main road heading for Daejeon's central area, he placed his hand on her thigh to ask: "It took you almost an hour to come out. What did you chat about?"

Jennie paused. She watched the scenery outside the window as she spoke: "She told me some things about my mother. I haven't even clarified my own background, yet she tossed me another difficult problem."

"What problem?"

"She said that my mother isn't her birth daughter. When she was young, she used to work as a helper at a rich family's home. She did that for almost a year before returning to the small town to give birth to my aunt. After that, because she was lacking in money, she returned to work for them. However, the family abruptly encountered some trouble; the sort of melodramatic trouble that would only occur when the elderly favored their sons over their daughters. In any case, right after my mother was born, she was thrown out of the family. My grandmother picked her up and raised her until she was ten. She thought that when she sent her back, she would be able to get some money. Who would have thought that the family would move abroad? They were no longer contactable."

Jennie brushed her bangs back, saying lightly: "She had taken my mother in hopes of gaining a few million won when that family finally returned for her. However, all of her hopes were dashed. After that, she did not ask for anything more from my mom. She allowed her to live as she pleased. After my mom graduated from junior high school, she borrowed money from their relatives for her senior high school education. She even worked part-time and applied for student loans. Finally, she left the country after being granted a scholarship. Most of the money she earned was used to repay those relatives and after that, she did not contact my grandmother's side again. But after so many years, even after my mother passed away, she never knew the truth behind her own birth. She only assumed my grandmother wasn't fond of her."

Many years ago, many local wealthy families tended to favor sons over daughters. This was especially so in Jing City. During those times, there were much fewer wealthy families and it was common for them to leave their daughters behind.

"Right now, I can't even fully understand the feelings I'm experiencing. On one end, I'm thankful that my mom isn't related to this family. I really despise them. But on the other hand, I feel regret that she passed away without ever learning the truth. Perhaps it was impossible for her to look for her family after so long. But my mother was such a beautiful, hardworking, and determined woman who worked hard for a better life. In the end, she still passed away due to emotional complications, and she held regret with her as she left this world."

"I also finally understand why Daniel once sympathized with my mother so much and was willing to marry and protect her even though she was pregnant with someone else's child. If I'm truly related to the Hwang family, under what circumstances did Chairman Hwang, who was married at the time, cause my mother to become pregnant. He didn't even take responsibility and forced her to have to enter the Kim family with a child."

"During Chairman Hwang's birthday party, on that cruise, when Minhyun planned to bring me to see his father, you once mentioned that I would become unhappy if I saw them." Jennie turned to Lisa, who had been quietly listening the whole time: "Did you already investigate into my birth? You must have known that, even if I was Chairman Hwang's daughter, I may not necessarily wish to see him, right?"