II. Her

Numb

That was how Veronika felt, her mind blank, ears muffled as people around her mourned the loss of Elaine Riva , The senior matriarch of the family and also her most precious grandmother. The Riva family was known for it's powerful women in all fields of careers, traditionally a matriarchal family where women are treated with utmost respect.

"Elaine" her mother called her by her middle name which hurt her more as it was after her grandmother,"your grandma left something for you" she was presented with a jewellery box and a letter which was attached with the will.
She was instructed even by her grandmother herself that she should read the will and letter that will be left by her when she leaves the world.

The letter contained the initials E.L.R signifying her grandmother's full name, Elaine Lucia Riva. Veronika moved to a place where she wouldn't be disturbed and opened the letter...

To
My little Elaine

You know how much I like calling you my name as it really takes me back into the time when I was your age, you really remind me of myself, Intelligent, headstrong, confident and silent. This may seem like I'm bragging about myself but that is our thing isn't it. You have grown up into a wonderful woman, you were born to achieve great things, you have never disappointed me and always made me proud. Throughout your life you pretty much kept to yourself and never really brought any boys home, I remember your mother being concerned about it but your father knew better, we Riva's have our own pace especially the women. By the time you read this letter I won't be there but be strong my princess because you'll need it, my death might only be a loss for others but it is what I have prepared and trained you for almost all your life. Immediately after my passing you will be handed over the family heirloom along with this letter and carefully understand the will. What the will contains might confuse or even anger you but just know I knew what I was doing. Your father will help you in adjusting to the life as the new head of the Riva Corp but just being the head and lead doesn't come easy and the catch is what is going to leave you confused. Just know that I love you sweetheart and you will always be my pride.

E.L.R

Veronika was feeling somewhat bittersweet but always loved and respected her grandmother. Slowly the weight of responsibilities were creeping in on her, little did she know what the catch mentioned in the will was, that her late grandmother was hinting at...