XLIII. Aftermath

Present

"So she faked her death?" Jeonghan asked as Veronika sat next to him.

"She felt suffocated, mental health was not a thing back then but mentally she was struggling and she wanted an out, whatever happened with Kade served as a sign for her to run away" She replied with a sigh.

"Grandma saw right through her but kept silent, what she didn't see coming was her killing herself or making it seem like it. The whole family was devastated, everyone blamed grandma for it but dad kept to her side while he was also grieving. Sometimes I think he didn't even get to properly mourn because on one hand he had his own family and then on the other he had to look out for his mother as well." She said as she looked forward.

Tears threatened to fall from her eyes as Jeonghan held her close whispering that it's all over now, that her family will get answers and that she can rest for a while.

"You scared me you know, disappearing like that" in a hushed voice he told her, caressing her head "I've never felt like that before and it scared me, I just want you to know you have my heart Veronika Elaine Riva and I trust you with it which is something I dont usually do." He placed a gentle kiss on her head, savoring the warmth on a cold day.

"Jeonghan" She looked up to him, he looked back at her with a gentle gaze, so warm she felt like crying in happiness.

"You are not obligated to say it back just because I said it, this is so unlikely of me love, but for you I got through all the walls I've built around myself and I wish to get past all of yours as well, only if you let me." He clarifies.

"Don't you think we are past that" She holds his face, inspecting him

"The day you asked me how I was, had me taken, I thought it would be hard for me to be with you but it felt like, I don't know how to explain it but I felt whole being with you. You were patient with me, even when I just decided to go back home one random day, but staying away from you made me realize how much you mean to me, how much you have me" She noticed how they were both on the verge of crying but the warmth kept them smiling.

"You are home, Yoon Jeonghan and I will guard your heart with all of my being only if you would do the same with mine as well." She gives him a small smile before leaning in, the kiss was tender, full of emotion and warm.

They sat there for sometime, seeing the couple having a moment the others decided not to disturb them. By the time they got inside all the others had gathered, waiting for them to join.

"Welcome back, Cate" Claude told his sister, in a much happier way.

"I'm really happy right now and this might be the wrong time for this question but since aunt Catalin is back, wouldn't that make Elijah eligible for challenging Ver as the eldest female Riva heir, like there won't be any holding back now from her side?" Markus questioned.

"Oh my boy, you are the best out of them all, that is actually the question of the hour." Catalin replied to her nephew who looked at her confused.

"Only if she is the eldest female Riva heir" Kai answers as Enzo walks in with a folder and hands it to him.

"It's time?" Jeonghan says thinking out loud recalling the text message which Veronika instructed, as she turned to him nodding her head.

"So let's get this over with shall we?" Catalin comments standing up as she looks over to her niece.