VI. Riva

The funeral ended sometime ago, people were still walking around the grounds of the Riva mansion while the centre of attention, the siblings joined each other at their grandmother's study.

Veronika's POV

"Do you remember how we used to annoy grandma by barging in when we were kids but she would be just unbothered and let us do whatever we were doing?" Kai asked

"Well she was unbothered because she knew we wouldn't do any stupid stuff because of the way we were raised," Markus says, landing himself on the sofa. Veronika stood silent leaning against the table gently lost in thoughts.
"You are being too quiet sis" Markus points out.

"There's a lot going on in my mind" I keep my reply short trying to gather my thoughts.

"Are you upset with grandma?" Kai asks, standing next to me as we stare at the portrait of my grandmother on the wall.

"I'm not, it's just I'm not even thinking about the will, I'm thinking how I'll revise my work plan as there were literally people waiting for her to die so that they can have their chance at getting what they want, bastards" I almost scowled "I've been managing it on behalf of grandma ever since she fell ill but her being gone is a different story. I'll have to gain control, there's a hell lot of legal formalities that come with it but for all this to take place smoothly I'll have to get married! Delaying or going against the will will only make things worse for me and the entire thing" I voice out part of my concern to my brothers who looks at me worried

"I heard it's Yoon Jeonghan, he's known for his tactics and is praised for managing the Yoon empire single handedly when his father stepped down, I think he went through something similar" Kai states " I think he'll be a worthy partner for you" He mumbles before taking a sip of his drink.

"What happened to 'nobody is worthy of my sister'" I mock my brother as he avoids my eyes "Oh don't tell me.... you knew this would happen didn't you!" I think I guessed it right as my elder brother just kept quiet while Markus just looked at us both resigned as he is used to us going like this.

We are the typical siblings, me and my brothers have a close bond with each other unlike what others think. My brothers are protective but they know when to step in and not to get involved, I guess this is one of those moments.

As the eldest, Kai was always incharge when we were kids as he is eight years older than me, he used to take care of me when I was a child and we always stuck close. He had his own challenges and spirals, he grabbed attention of both men and women wherever he went, I guess that's something all of us siblings have in common.

He had his fair share of fun and trouble until grandma called him back to Italy on that one fine day, I remember him being so stressed and frustrated like he got locked in a tower, he had no choice but to take up the terms grandma laid out, as the only thing he prepared himself for long was to manage Riva Corp from the outside. His and Anya's story had its ups and downs but it never stops to amaze me how they both got back up and saved their relationship and now he is 34 with a beautiful wife and a lovely 5 year old.

Markus might be the middle child but people often assume him as the youngest, three years older than me, the official free bird of the family, he is doing what he loves the most but that doesn't mean he's at ease unlike us. His field of work requires him to be like in a certain way diets, workouts, endorsements, ambassadorship, you name it Markus got it all.

Out of the three of us Markus is the life of the party, he literally lights up a room with his humor and friendly banter. From far we all look intimidating but people find Markus more approachable than the rest of us. He has his fair share of relationships, situationships, which keeps all of us entertained, I wouldn't call my brother a player but rather a natural flirt, People say all the three of us are except Kai is married and belongs only to Anya while I keep to myself unlike Mr Model who works his magic on everyone.

As for myself, I'm well known in the business world, I'm aware of my popularity yet I avoid public gatherings. I'm there if I'm really needed if not then no, I'm known to be intimidating as I don't entertain the media or anyone, because of how I'm perceived, they call me no fun which is something I'm not surprised because they know what's happening to my brothers as for Kai, his developments in New York and his family, they know who Markus is linked with or what he is doing, while they have nothing on me and that's one of the reason why they label me as mysterious.

It can be partially true as even my family members don't know what I'm doing other than work and I don't do much other than work. I have a trusted group of people which includes my brothers, close friends and good acquaintances. The business world is all about connections but all these connections cannot be trusted as there is always room for betrayal, so that itself makes the group of my acquaintances really narrow.

Our parents obviously are highly influential, well known, and well connected with elites all around the world. My father, Claude Riva used to travel around the world and managed several branches of Riva Corp in his time , now Kai took after him. My mother Katheryn Riva is the most gentle, elegant, and kindest woman ever. She has upheld the name of Riva's and has been a model daughter in law as my grandmother used to say. People say Kai and I take after our father and Markus like our mother and it is kind of true.