Chapter 41 - A Very Grimm Christmas

A few months had passed since you last saw your mother. After her arrival at Monroe and Rosalee’s wedding, she spent a couple of days at your house, going over the plan on how to properly extract Viktor and make sure the royal family knew the Renard Royal Family of Portland was not to be messed with. You knew the task at hand would take some time and be meticulously done so that the royal family wouldn’t know what hit them. However, you made it very clear to your mother, that you wanted Viktor to know it was you and Sean who had sent the order. Your mother guaranteed you that the job would be done by the first of the year. While waiting to receive word that the job was done, you and Sean had managed to convince Elizabeth to stay in Portland until after the holidays. It was to be Marie’s first Christmas and you wanted as much family there to make it extra special.

It was just a few days before Christmas and you and Sean were busy with finalizing his plans to step down as the captain of the police department. The only people who knew of this change were the two of you, the mayor of Portland, and Meisner. You were thankful to learn that the Mayor of Portland was Wesen. They were leery at first about having a royal family in Portland, worry that you and Sean would have power over them. But you both made it very clear that your status as the King and Queen of Portland meant you would only deal in Wesen community affairs. Much like the Wesen Council but only on a local level. You no way would interfere with typical Portland affairs, unless it meant it effected the Wesen who had sworn fealty to you. Sean did make it clear though that any Wesen that broke Wesen laws, would face consequences that would be handed down by him and yourself. The mayor agreed and swore fealty to you both.

The next thing was to break the news to your family. It was Christmas Eve and Monroe and Rosalee had insisted on keeping up with the tradition of having Christmas Eve at their home. This year it would be a little more of full house with the additions of Marie, Adalind, Elizabeth, and Trubel. You tried to convince Meisner to join all of you but he respectfully declined, instead wanting to ensure that your home was safe and secure. Considering you would be in a house with two more Grimms, a Zauberbiest, two Hexenbiest, a Fuchsbau, and a Blutbad, he felt you and Marie were more than safe.

To say that Monroe loved Christmas was an understatement. Elizabeth was overwhelmed when you all walked in by the amount of tinsel, lights, and the massive trainset and village that was set up in the house. Everywhere you looked there was something Christmas related. Old nutcrackers that had been passed down throughout his family, German made toys, angels, Santas, and even old children’s books that told the tales of Krampus. While Rosalee had not been one to celebrate due to the traumatic death of her beloved aunt and uncle when she was a child, even she began to open up to the insaneness of Monroe’s love for the holiday. She had specially ordered stockings with everyone’s names on them, all of them strung up along the mantle of the fireplace.

After eating to the point to where you all felt that you were going to burst, you made your way to the living room. Monroe and Nick moved the coffee table out of the way, so there was more room for people to sit. You sat on the couch between Rosalee and Adalind, Sean sitting on the floor between your legs. Elizabeth sat in one of the chairs near the fireplace, holding Marie in her lap. Trubel sat on the floor next to Elizabeth while Monroe and Nick began handing out the gifts. Everyone began opening their presents, paper and bows all over the floor. Marie squealed in Elizabeth’s lap when she pulled out the tissue paper from her gift bag, more interested in the paper than the gift that was inside.

“Note to self, next time buy the kid paper,” Monroe said with sarcasm.

Monroe then handed you a delicately wrapped box. You frowned as you looked at it, unsure who it was from. Unwrapping it, you opened the box and gasped at what you found. Inside was a beautiful antique gold locket that had carvings of flowers on the outside.