Chapter 118 - Mila

The apartment was grinding their gears on some days, but on others, it was pleasantly comfortable. Like in any marriage, the spouses need some alone time, away from each other. The only way that Nat or Eleanor could get that is if they sat on opposite sides of the room, their backs facing each other, like toddlers who had just been told off for fighting.

Coincidentally, this did lead to some fights. Some days the lack of space creating a rift the size of an ocean trench in their relationship, Natasha really wishing she had her widow bites with her at times. But it all worked out. After all, they still loved each other deeply, and the arguments were simply from lack of space for prolonged periods of time, and the relentless amount of instability in their lives.

But at the end of the day, even if it was a day of tension, they still fell asleep tucked into each other's arms, whispering small apologies that spoke a thousand words.

Although all they needed was each other, they also missed their families. Eleanor missed her Aunt Sarah so much that it hurt, it had been years since they had properly gotten to see her, and of course now Natasha had Yelena back, and they both missed her a lot. They trusted Yelena with their location, so she had begun sending letters, ones that they couldn't reply to, but reading them was entertaining nonetheless.

There were many serious ones about how she was getting on in her mission to free more widows, but there were also snippets of how she was getting on in the big wide world on her own for the first time. She was amazed by so many things, especially as she was so young when she was last out in Ohio.

There was even a letter describing how excited she was when she opened up a bank account for the first time. She had no specific money she needed to save. She just went to the bank for fun. And of course, she spoke a lot about various dogs she saw out and about, and how as soon as she was finished, she was going to get a dog herself. But, not "one of the ratty little ones".

Natasha just wanted to give her sister a hug.

After further correspondence with Yelena, with them not replying due to being terrified of going to a post office or post box, Eleanor eventually decided to brave it, and try to send a letter to Melina. A short one, a simple query that Melina requested she ask. Eleanor ventured out to a post box a little while away from their apartment complex, trying to not be tied to their location, still incredibly wary of the authorities.

It was a scary letter to post, Eleanor would finally get the answers that she needed if the letter managed to reach the older widow.

It was only a week later when a response came through their little mail box, and they knew it had to be Melina, as it was not Yelena's handwriting. Immediately Eleanor's palms sweated as she held the envelope in her hands, Natasha giving her an encouraging nod.

Gulping, hands shaking, she tried to get the envelope open, which ended up being a bit of a messy ordeal as it kept ripping in very inconvenient places. But eventually she got it open, and with tears brimming in her eyes, she opened the letter:

"Eleanor,

I am very glad that you have finally written. I had begun to worry that you were not going to follow up on my offer. I'm glad you did, Mila's story deserves to be told.

Mila was born in 1967, along with the rest of our group in the Red Room. We met as children, in our first physical exercise class. Immediately she was like a little ray of light to the rest of us who were scared. Her energy, like yours, could light up a room. We were only small, yet she helped us feel big. Without her encouragement and endless supply of smiles, even at a young age, me and many other widows would not have passed our training as children, and would certainly not be here today. Many women owe her their lives, and I know that I and everyone else that her kind heart touched are eternally grateful, even if she is regrettably not with us.

I will never forget that I am here because of her. I will never forget that I got the opportunity to know my girls because of her.

Later in life, even through all of the tribulations presented in the Red Room, her smile never once faded. She would force one if she had to, just to make us feel better. We had many missions together, and in each and every one, she would follow through with the utmost delicateness. If she had to take a life she would make sure they died with dignity. Every life mattered to her.

Outside of our work she was an artist. Though not allowed, she would always find a way to draw, even if with old rocks she found outside. Quite frequently if I would ever sneak out to the courtyard myself, I would find her tucked away in the corner, drawing patterns and people into the stone slabs of the floor. Not once did I disturb her.

Storytelling was also her forte. She was amazing with the children, always making them feel happy. Making them feel safe, which in the Red Room is a great feat. She was greatly missed by them when she had to leave.

When she was forced into the cloning programme and you were brought into her life, I could see the immediate change. She no longer lived for the rest of us, nor herself. She lived purely and utterly for you. You, the little clump of cells feeding off of her like some kind of parasite. She loved you with her entire being. In sparring, she would work particularly hard to ensure that no hits would land anywhere near her stomach, taking hits in much more painful places to ensure that you would not get rattled around in there.

Everyone could see that this was becoming a problem. You were simply a clone for the facility to utilise, and she was a vessel to provide that. But she became a mother in the process. When anxious she would clutch her stomach, almost as though she was trying to tell you all would be well, when of course we all know that you did not even have a heartbeat at that point, never mind a conscious thought of your mother being anxious. But still, she was connected to you in a way I had never seen anyone be connected to anything in my life.

It was no surprise that she confided in our small circle to help her get out. She was completely riddled with guilt at the idea of leaving us behind, but as I said previously, she was now living for you, and solely you. Of course, we immediately agreed to help. She was the reason we had a life, and we would do everything in our power to make sure her baby did too.

It was hard, but we got her out. We got both of you out. It took careful planning over a few months, but it was indeed successful, with the dire consequence of graduations being introduced. Dreykov now knew what a mother would do for her baby, though he should have already known that judging by Natasha's mother. Tell Natasha I am very sorry she never got to meet hers, I know that her mother loved her terribly. She deserved to feel that love as a child. I am sorry she didn't.

After Mila's escape, I do not have much information on how she managed to get to England, nor how any of the interactions went with your Father. The only information I know is that SHIELD was hunting her down around the time of her late pregnancy or just shortly after your birth, but they were swayed. I'm guessing they were swayed by your existence. Much like Mila extended our lives, you were most likely the reason she got another six years to know and love you. Much like your Mother, just your existence makes a change.

I know nothing of how you were raised, but your temperament is incredibly similar to Mila's. Carry that with honour. She was a kind soul, one that lives within you.

I am sorry that Dreykov ordered her elimination. I am sorry that she was taken from you. If she were here today I know with full confidence that she would love Natasha too. I know with full confidence that she would be proud of you for everything that you have done, and how far you have come in your life. I am sorry that she missed your childhood sleepovers, I am sorry she missed your graduation, I am sorry she missed your first job, I'm sorry she missed your wedding. I'm sorry.

But just know, she loved you more than anything and anyone in this life.

In this life, and the afterlife, you have always been loved.

Tell Natasha that I am sorry too. For everything. That last night in Ohio I should have gotten my girls away. If I could do it all differently I would. Please tell her I love her.

All the best,
Melina V."