Chapter 120 - Pavlov

"Mr. Secretary", Steve tilted his head forward, acknowledging Ross' hologram in the room in front of Rhodey. The group of fugitives stopped a few paces away, everyone in the room looking at the man in the suit as he turned to face them. Eleanor's jaw was set tight, her thumbs rubbing against her fingers as she stared the man down. In a way, she wished he was here in physical form so she could launch a chair at his face. On the quinjet, they had learnt that Tony was now in goddamn outer space as well as the goal of these aliens and titans wanting to wipe out half the universe, so they could not afford to waste the time that they knew Ross would waste. If he were going to play games with them, he would lose.

Hologram Ross took a few steps towards them, staring directly at Steve, "You got some nerve", then he faced Natasha, "I'll give you that". Eleanor's head tilted slightly, knowing if he turned to say anything to her she'd probably go on some rambly tangent of telling him that he was the human equivalent of a squished slug.

"You could use some of that right now", Natasha retorted in her calm tone as always. Ross simply moved past it though, making a noise with his tongue against his teeth before turning back to Steve, "The world's on fire, and you think all is forgiven?".

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking for permission, Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way, we'll fight you too".

Ross stared at Steve for a moment, before turning back to Rhodey. "Arrest them". Eleanor's eyes bulged as her face scrunched up, not believing the audacity of the man in front of her. Though it was Ross so there shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Still, she sucked her cheeks in slightly, hollowing them as she shook her head when Rhodey replied, "All over it", swiping the hologram away, ending the transmission. This was stupid, Eleanor thought to herself, the priorities of the man who just 'left' the room were so skewed, he was going to get Earth slaughtered.

The group looked at Rhodey, breaths held a little. "That's a court marshal", he let his hands fall to the side before smiling, "It's great to see you, Cap". Natasha and Eleanor let smiles grace their faces as the two men said their hellos. Thankfully, there would be no fight breaking out in the middle of the meeting room again. Natasha went forward for a hug, but Eleanor stayed with Wanda and Sam, giving Vision a quick glance up and down, looking back only when Rhodey spoke. "Wow, you guys really look like crap. Must have been a rough couple years".

Eleanor held back an amused scoff as she took a step forward, "I think it is safe to say it was utter dog shit", she spoke bluntly, but her eyes twinkled slightly. This felt like old times. She felt her chest untighten as she just took a breath and took in their current situation. Sure, their world was on the brink of collapse, and sure the team was still split apart, but when was it not?

"Yup, the hotels weren't exactly five stars", Sam added, proving her point.

Another voice appeared in the room. At one point in time, Eleanor would have cringed and wanted the Earth to swallow her whole, after feeling slightly betrayed by the man she was on a team with. But, so much has happened in the past few years that an old situation like that wasn't even on her radar. She'd never forget what happened with Banner, but she just didn't have it in her to be angry about that situation anymore. Forgiven but not forgotten. Nat and Eleanor both looked over as he spoke, "Uh, I think you look great", he said in the same awkward tone he always does. Bless him, it always sounded like he had stage fright even in a room full of people he's known for years.

They gave him a friendly nod as he quietly announced that he was back from wherever he had run off after the fight with Ultron. The room went silent as everyone just processed what was going on. Eleanor's eyes darted around slightly, not fully trusting that the situation was safe, half expecting some people to run into the room and try to arrest all of them. This is what happens when you spend ages on the run being hunted down by people of your own home. Your home didn't feel safe anymore.