Chapter 69 - An Old Ally

After throwing back some painkillers for the raging headache that both Nat and Eleanor had, the pair took a mid-afternoon nap for a couple of hours. There hadn't been much time to sleep since the party, so if they were to continue with advancing on Ultron, then it was a must. 

They snuggled up next to each other to fall asleep, so every little movement from one could be felt by the other. A few times during their allocated time to sleep they were woken up by the other trembling in fear, the aftermath of Wanda's magic plaguing their minds as they slipped into a vulnerable state.

Eleanor had decided not to fall asleep again after being woken up a few times by both herself and Natasha, but as she absorbed the warmth from her wife her body yet again succumbed to the darkness. The darkness then formed the void, and she once more found herself staring down on Nat who was on the edge of death.

Screams tore through her as she collapsed to her knees, the black void having a rippling effect at the impact. The shining emeralds in Natasha's eyes disappeared, leaving a shell of what once was. 

Natasha was gone again. Eleanor had let her go again

The sounds of pain continued, but abruptly stopped and soon only the sounds of Eleanor's panting could be heard. Nat's body and eyes weren't moving, but she was talking to her, Eleanor's eyes widened in horror at the terrifying sight.

"You need to wake up, it's just a bad dream, you're okay".

Eleanor's head tilted as she shuffled backwards, her knees scraping on the floor. The voice sounded like an echo, it was so close, yet so far. "El", Natasha's voice pushed through again as she felt her body shake.

Her eyes snapped open and she could see the cream walls of the bedroom covered with Lila's flower paintings. "There you are, good job, you're okay", Nat cooed down at her, and it was only then that Eleanor realised silent tears were streaming down her face.

Pulling herself further into Natasha she balled her fists on Nat's sleep shirt, "You were gone again". Nat frowned and lay back down again and ran her pointer finger up and down the bridge of Eleanor's nose and between her eyebrows to soothe her, her eyes fluttering shut in response. 

She hadn't been told anything about the vision that Eleanor had on the ship, but it was easy for Nat to deduce that Eleanor had lost her, just like she had lost Eleanor. "I'm not going anywhere, I promise you". When Eleanor looked up to meet Natasha's gaze, her wife's heart broke at seeing her bottom lip quiver briefly, but she nodded in acceptance of the fact that Nat was there. She wasn't leaving. 

"It's almost time for dinner now, so how about we take a breather then get ready and have some food, hm?". Eleanor nodded with a small smile, she could never turn down a meal cooked by Laura.

---

They slowly padded down the stairs, feeling a lot better having freshened up and with the prospect of food on the horizon. The sun was setting which caused a nice orange glow to hit their eyes, and colourful shadows from glass ornaments danced around them. 

Eleanor gave a half-smile as she looked around the hallway, it was the small things like that that made her feel alive. Which was something that she desperately needed to feel after feeling agonisingly empty.

Natasha stood idly by the stairs as she watched Eleanor in awe as she moved around the hallway, looking at all of the trinkets and how they glowed in the sun. 

Whilst she watched her wife move around with elegance, Natasha took notice of how her skin looked radiant under the orange light, how her hair glistened with gold, and how her eyes twinkled with an amused glint. And it was at this moment that Natasha knew they would be okay. Whatever was coming their way, whatever they would be facing, they would be okay. How could it not be when she was fighting alongside her perfect human.